Non-Degree Seeking Students

Foreign Language Education students may start taking graduate courses as non-degree seeking students and apply up to 12 credits toward their Master's once they are admitted. Many students start as non-degree seeking students while they complete the formal admissions process or establish the credentials required for formal admission. 

Limited Space and Non-Degree Seeking Students

Because non-degree seeking students register last, you can expect difficulties getting into foreign language education methods courses, particularly in your first semester. It is state policy that your access to courses is on a seat available basis. As a result, University policy states that fully admitted graduate students register first and fully admitted undergraduate students register second, based on earned hours. Last to register are non-degree seeking students on a first-come, first-served basis based on the alphabetical appointment times for registration. You can avoid this problem by applying to one of our master’s degree programs, which will allow you to register earlier in the registration process.

If a course is closed when you attempt to register, you will need to adjust your plans. The foreign language education courses have enrollment limits that are planned based on the content and assignments in each course. Even if you are told otherwise, do not come to the first class meeting of a course that is closed in the hope that you will be admitted. The foreign language education faculty do not admit students to classes.

The only way to enter Foreign Language Education courses is through registration and the drop/add system. You can check OASIS frequently during the registration and the drop/add period during the first week of classes to see if a seat has opened up in the course. 

Students seeking courses only to meet certification requirements directly from the State of Florida, but who do not want a degree from USF in foreign language education, have typically used a non-degree seeking admissions status.

How to Apply

  1. Complete the Non-Degree Seeking Student application and submit it to the Registrar's Office.
  2. Within about a week, you will be eligible to register for courses for the upcoming term.

How to Register 

  • Select Student Login from the Secured Access menu. 
  • Enter nine-digit Student ID (or social security number) followed by your six-digit Personal Identification number (PIN) and press the login button (see instructions below about PIN).
  • Re-enter your PIN as prompted and press login. 
  • Select the registration menu.
  • Select Registration/Add/Drop Classes.
  • Select the term for which you are registering from the pull-down menu and click "Submit Term."  
  • To ADD a course, enter the five-digit reference number (CRN) in the Add Class portion of the page and click "Submit Changes." 
  • To DROP a course click, on the Action pull-down menu next to the CRN, select drop, then click "Submit Changes."
    Click Exit when finished.