Dr. Cheryl Ellerbrock
Dr. Cheryl Ellerbrock, Associate Professor of Middle Grades and General Secondary Education
Dr. Ellerbrock currently serves as PI and Project Manager for the Helios STEM Middle School Residency Program and teaches middle level and general secondary education courses at USF.
Dr. Ellerbrock identifies herself as a scholar who is expanding and deepening inquiry in middle level education as well as impacting the local secondary education community and beyond by conducting educational research that investigates ways to improve secondary school experiences for adolescent learners, specifically the ways middle and high school environments are responsive to the basic and developmental needs of adolescent learners, ways to foster a responsive middle-to-high-school transition for young adolescents, and ways to cultivate developmentally and culturally responsive secondary teachers and teacher educators.
Dr. Ellerbrock has received awards for her teaching, leadership, and service, including the 2016 Paul S. George Award in Recognition of Leadership and Service for the Advancement of Middle School Level Education in the State of Florida and the 2010-2011 Outstanding Undergraduate Teacher of the Year at the University of South Florida. She works closely with USF's Graphic Art Studio and Contemporary Art Museum to develop innovative lessons using current exhibitions that integrate the arts for middle and high school teachers in a project titled Inside Art. She currently serves as the Vice Chair of AERA's Middle Level Education Research Group, member of the Association of Middle Level Education's Research Advisory Council, Secretary of the Florida League of Middle Schools, the state of Florida's Collegiate Representative on the Executive Board of the Florida League of Middle Schools, and editorial board member or ad-hoc reviewer for all the major middle level education journals (Middle Grades Review, Middle Grades Research Journal, Research in Middle Level Education, and Middle School Journal).
- Mead, S., Ellerbrock, C. R., & Cruz, B. (2017). Exploring global issues through contemporary art. The Social Studies, 108(2), 72-77.
- Ellerbrock, C. R., Cruz, B., Vásquez, A., & Howes, E. (2016). Preparing culturally responsive teachers: Effective practices in teacher education. Action in Teacher Education, 38(3), 226-239. doi:10.1080/01626620.2016.1194780
- Ellerbrock, C. R., DiCicco, M., Denmon, J. M., Parke, E., & Mead, S. (2016). Cracker jacks: “Finding the prize” inside each adolescent learner. The Clearing House, 90(1), 26-29. doi:10.1080/00098655.2016.1235955
- Ellerbrock, C. R., Kersaint, G., Smith, J. J., & Kaskeski, R. (2016). Transforming teacher preparation for the transition years: A partnership-based STEM residency program. In P. B. Howell, J. Carpenter, & J. Jones (Eds.), Clinical Preparation at the Middle Level: Practices and Possibilities (pp. 33-58). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Cruz, B., & Ellerbrock, C. R. (2015). Developing visual literacy: Historical and manipulated photography in the social studies classroom. The Social Studies, 106(6), 274-280. DOI: 10.1080/00377996.2015.1083932.
- Cruz, B., Ellerbrock, C. R., & Smith, N. (2015). “I have never witnessed students so engaged”: The art of democracy in high school classrooms. Art Education, 68(6), 9-15.
- Ellerbrock, C. R., Abbas, B., DiCicco, M., Denmon, J. M., Sabella, L., & Hart, J. (2015, May). Relationships: The fundamental R in education. Phi Delta Kappan, 96(8), 48-51.
- Ellerbrock, C. R., Denmon, J. M., Owens, R., & Lindstrom, K. (2015). Fostering a developmentally responsive middle-to-high-school transition: The role of transition supports. Middle Grades Research Journal, 10(1), 83-101.
- Kiefer, S. M., Alley, K., & Ellerbrock, C. R. (2015). Teacher and peer support for young adolescents’ motivation, engagement, and school belonging. Research in Middle Level Education Online, 38(8), 1-19.
- Cruz, B., Ellerbrock, C. R., Howes, E., & Vásquez, A. (Eds.). (2014). Talking diversity with teachers and teacher educators: Exercises and critical conversations across the curriculum. New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Ellerbrock, C. R., & Cruz, B. (2014). A vision of diversity in teacher education. In B. Cruz, C. R. Ellerbrock, E. Howes, & A. Vásquez (Eds.), Talking diversity with teachers and teacher educators: Exercises and critical conversations across the curriculum (pp. 13-27). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Ellerbrock, C. R. (2014). Cultivating a positive learning environment in college classrooms. In B. Cruz, C. R. Ellerbrock, E. Howes, & A. Vásquez (Eds.), Talking diversity with teachers and teacher educators: Exercises and critical conversations across the curriculum (pp. 28-52). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.