Following are the admission requirements for the graduate programs in Electrical Engineering:
- Undergraduate Degree: A student with a BS in Engineering from an ABET-accredited program is eligible to enter the MSEE program. Graduates of non-ABET accredited programs are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. A student without a BS in engineering enters the MSES program by default. If the student desires to be in the MSEE program they are evaluated on a case by case basis and may be required to take additional courses prior to admission.
- 3.0 GPA in all undergraduate coursework
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from each post-secondary institution are required with your application packet. Certificates, diplomas and transcripts in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified, complete and literal English translation.
- English Proficiency: International applicants from non-English speaking countries or who have not earned a degree in the United States must provide a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 taken within 2 years of the desired term of entry, a minimum PTE-A score of 53 or a minimum TOEFL score of 79 (internet-based test), 213 (computer-based test) or 550 (written test). Official scores must be submitted to USF directly from the testing agency, but applicants should upload unofficial copies of their test score reports to expedite the processing of their applications. Any admission granted using unofficial scores will not be finalized until official scores are received from the testing agency. Applications submitted with TOEFL or IELTS scores that do not meet the minimum requirements will be denied. The English proficiency requirement may be waived if the applicant meets one of the following conditions: Has scored 153 (new scale) or 500 (old scale) or higher on the GRE Verbal Test or has earned a college degree at a regionally accredited U.S. institution of higher learning
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation: At least three (3) letters of recommendation are required with your application packet.
- Personal Statement: Please provide a brief statement indicating your past and current interests and activities relevant to the electrical engineering program. Feel free to list the faculty in our department whose research interests you believe match your own. Also, comment on your career goals. This statement is required with your application packet.
- Resume: An updated copy of your academic or professional resume is required.
- GRE Scores: For PhD applicants only: the General GRE test (Verbal and Quantitative) is required. Passing scores in the EE Department for the General GRE Verbal portion is 146 and for the General GRE Quantitative portion is 155. Allow no less than 6 weeks before the program deadlines to complete the electronic exams. Allow 10-12 weeks before the program deadlines for the written exams. Enter your GRE scores on the USF application.
Students must submit a USF Graduate Admission Application online, no paper applications are accepted.
For additional information about the admission process, please contact USF Graduate Admissions at GradAdmissions@usf.edu or 813-974-3350. You can also visit their website to chat live with an admissions officer, check your application status and more.
International (Foreign) Applicants are required to submit to Graduate Admissions the Financial Statement form, Confirmation of Financial Support form, Visa Transfer form (if applicable), and a copy of your passport. International applicants should refer to the International Admissions website for procedures and forms: