Sloan Scholarships may be awarded to domestic U.S. citizens who self-identify as African-American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, or American Indian/Native American and have been admitted into one of the USF Ph.D. programs listed below.
College of Engineering
Department of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Department of Electrical Engineering
Department of Industrial and Management Systems Engineering
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Department of Medical Engineering
(Eligible students admitted into the PhD program in Integrated Mathematical Oncology at the Moffitt Cancer Center are also eligible.)
Departments are invited to nominate first-year PhD students as candidates for the scholarship. Students may not apply directly! Selected students will be notified of their nomination after receiving an offer of financial support from their department.
- Scholars receive 5-year funding packages including a stipend (equivalent to a 20 hour RA/TA) at the departmental rate, plus a tuition waiver, and health insurance from departmental/faculty assistantships or non-Sloan funded fellowships.
- Sloan scholarships awarded as supplemental funding to support the professional development of scholars. Awards cannot be used to replace support from departmental/research assistantships.
- USF has two levels of Sloan scholarship awards:
- UCEM Scholars - Supplemental support of $40,000 from the Sloan Foundation over the duration of their PhD program. At least 25 percent of total award must be allocated for professional development (travel to national and international conferences, technical workshops, meetings with research collaborators, professional society memberships, computer/research supplies, journal publication expenses, or others).
- USF Sloan Scholars - Supplemental support of $10,000 from USF. Funds may be used for academic and professional development (travel to national and international conferences, technical workshops, meetings with research collaborators, professional society memberships, computer/research supplies, journal publication expenses, or others), and/or to cover student fees.
- The criteria for award selection will include the student’s financial need. *Due to institutional match requirements, award priority will be for scholars advised by early-career (tenure-earning) faculty.
- Students with national fellowship awards that provide full support (USF Presidential, NSF GRFP, NASA, Facebook, Hertz, NDSEG, SMART) may be designated as USF Sloan Scholars. Support in excess of the departmental rate ($30,000 per year) may be considered as institutional match funding.
- Scholar may be sponsored at least twice (2 times) to attend the annual Institute on Teaching and Mentoring during their PhD program and once as a recent graduate.
Department and Faculty Mentor Responsibilities
- The Department and/or Research Advisor agree to provide 5-year support contingent upon the scholar’s satisfactory academic and research progress. Full departmental support includes a stipend at the departmental rate, tuition waiver, and student health insurance.
- In the event, a scholar receives McKnight or Graduate Student Success funding, a department or advisor may provide 10-hour assistantships as a supplement.
- Departments and advisor are not expected to provide funding for students for students receiving full fellowship awards.
- Scholars is expected to maintain satisfactory academic and research progress as defined by their academic department, research advisor and Sloan UCEM leadership.
- Scholars are expected to submit semester progress reports in a timely manner approved by their research advisor.
- Scholars must attend the mandatory semester orientation meeting in the Fall semester.
- Contingent upon their eligibility, scholars are also expected to apply for national fellowship awards (See Resources).
- Scholars are required to participate in the Multi-Dimensional Mentoring (MDM) Model and Professional Development Certificate facilitated by the Sloan UCEM.
- Scholars are strongly encouraged to participate in UCEM community-building and social events.
- Sloan scholarships are not transferable to another student. If a student transfers to a non-UCEM department, withdraws from USF, or enrolls at another institution, he or she forfeits the remaining Sloan balance.
○ Round 1 Priority: March 1
○ Round 2 Regular: April 15