Dear USF community,
I would like to share with you an important update on the search process for the next president of the University of South Florida.
At today’s USF Board of Trustees meeting, we named a broadly representative, 15-member presidential search committee that follows the membership guidelines established by the Florida Board of Governors for presidential searches. Each member of the committee brings a unique perspective on USF’s future, and their diverse viewpoints will be valuable as this process moves ahead.
The committee, chaired by USF Board of Trustees Vice Chair Mike Griffin, is comprised of the following individuals:
- Chair Michael E. Griffin, USF Board of Trustees
- Vice Chair Melissa Seixas, State President – Duke Energy Florida, USF Board of Trustees
- Tammy Allen, USF Distinguished University Professor, Industrial-Organizational Psychology
- Derrick Brooks, EVP Corporate & Community Development, Vinik Sports Group; Motivational Speaker; NFL Hall of Famer; Board Member, Kforce, Inc.; President and Founder, Derrick Brooks Charities
- Lisa Carlton, USF Sarasota-Manatee Campus Advisory Board
- Braulio Colón, Vice President, Florida Student Success Initiatives, Helios Education Foundation
- John Couris, President and CEO, Tampa General Hospital
- Julia Cunningham, USF student, USF Board of Trustees
- Oscar J. Horton, President and CEO of Sun State International, USF Board of Trustees
- Patrick Hwu, MD, President and CEO, Moffitt Cancer Center
- Ken Jones, Founder and CEO of TL Capital and Third Lake Partners, SUS BOG
- Mark T. Mondello, CEO, Jabil Inc.
- Sylvia Wilson Thomas, Ph.D., USF Associate Professor, Electrical Engineering, Fellow – American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, Senior Member, National Academy of Inventors
- Debbie Nye Sembler, USF St. Petersburg Campus Advisory Board
- Jose E. Valiente, Chair, USF Foundation Board of Directors, Retired Partner at Clifton Larson Allen, LLP
I have full confidence in this esteemed group of individuals, who care deeply about the University of South Florida and its future.
The search committee will soon reach out to key stakeholder groups to define the position profile in alignment with USF’s mission and strategic aspirations; help market the position; and screen and interview the most qualified candidates, including providing opportunities for non-search committee members to interact with the finalists and provide feedback to the committee. The committee will then recommend an unranked list of finalists for ultimate consideration by the Board of Trustees.
After a thorough review of nationally regarded search firms, the USF Board of Trustees also today selected SP&A Executive Search, led by Alberto Pimentel, to work with the search committee and help attract a diverse pool of talented candidates. This firm has recent experience with similar roles at other public state universities in Florida, as well as for AAU institutions. Our search firm selection committee was also impressed by this firm’s understanding of the changing higher education landscape nationally and its substantial candidate reach.
All meetings of the search committee will be open to the public. The full Board of Trustees will vote to select USF’s next president, subject to confirmation by the Florida Board of Governors. Visit www.usf.edu/president-search for more information and opportunities for engagement in the process.
Thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm for USF's bright future.
Chair, USF Board of Trustees