Resources, Policies & Forms
Out of Cycle Compensation
When requesting a Faculty Out-of-Cycle Compensation Increase, please fill out the Faculty Out-of-Cycle Compensation Request for Approval Form and provide the following information.
For Career Path Promotion (BPI)
Appropriate for only the Center for Urban Transportation Research (CUTR) and FMHI (refers only to career path/internal promotion processes in these two units).
For Counter-Offer (SPD)
Upon receipt of a written job offer from another institution, a counter-offer may be recommended in order to retain a faculty member who is considered critical to the success of the College and/or unit.
- Provide a copy of the offer (should include the effective date and salary offered).
For Increased Duties and Responsibilities
An assignment that results in a permanent increase in responsibilities should be compensated by a permanent increase in salary.
- Identification of the new responsibilities and explanation as to why they warrant a salary increase (how the addition of the new responsibilities increases the complexity of the job).
- Whether the higher-level new responsibilities are the result of a new program or function or the reorganization of responsibilities and, if the latter, from whom/where did the responsibilities come.
- Whether these new responsibilities replace current responsibilities that are removed, and if so, what responsibilities are removed.
A temporary increase in administrative responsibilities should be compensated by a temporary increase in salary--a stipend.
- Same information as above, except of a time–limited nature.
For Market Equity Adjustment (SPC)
A Market Equity Adjustment is used to align base pay more appropriately with the market.
- Identify market conditions.
- A comparison of all faculty members in the unit whose salary may have been affected by changes in market conditions (please use the Recommendations for Market Equity Adjustment Form). (Note: If it is established that discrepancies exist, the administrator should respond to the discrepancies in a collective fashion, utilizing available resources within the unit.)
For Pre-Emptive Offer (BTI)
A pre-emptive offer may be awarded to retain a faculty member when there is a strong potential of losing the individual. The adjustment should be awarded only to faculty who are considered to be critical to the success of the College and/or unit.
- A brief explanation of why there is likelihood the faculty member may leave, if applicable.
- A brief explanation of the value to the University.
For Pay for Performance
Increases are driven by performance and are given to recognize documented superior performance or for special projects. They are considered when the following conditions are met.
To Base (PFP)
- Identification of outcomes and/or goal accomplishments, which have a long-term cumulative impact.
- Identification of consistently superior performance over a number of years, where lump sum bonuses may have been given.
- Identification of superior application of new competencies, which are expected to be consistently applied over an extened period of time.
One-time Bonus (Payroll)
- A short term accomplishment.
- Performance over a specific period of time or for a specific project/task.
- Reaching a milestone in the accomplishment of a major goal or objective.
For Special Award
Increases are given to faculty members who have been chosen through a selection process for which there is a monetary award, i.e. DUP, Faculty Senate Awards, Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching and Advising Awards, etc.
To Base (BME)
One-time Bonus (Payroll)
NOTE: Apply appropriate codes as listed on the Documentation Requirements and on the Request for Approval Form when preparing the Appointment Status Form.