Residency Classifications

Initial Classification

The initial classification is made by the office admitting you to the University as either an undergraduate, graduate or non-degree seeking student:

U.S.-Based Freshman Students: 
International Freshman Students: 
Transfer Students: 
Graduate Students: 
Non-Degree Seeking Students: 

The classification is based on the information you provide on your application. Failure to provide all relevant information, including copies of required documents, may lead to an initial classification as an "out-of-state" resident. 

It is your responsibility to check your residency classification when you are admitted to the University of South Florida.

If you feel your initial classification is in error, you have until the last day of the term of admission to contact the appropriate admissions office and request re-evaluation. Once you have completed your first term, you may only request reclassification for future terms.



A Request for Reclassification and all additional documentation must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar no later than the fifth day of the first week of the semester for which reclassification is sought. There are no exceptions to this deadline. Requests that are incomplete or received after the published deadline will be considered for a future term only, and tuition will be assessed at the non-resident rate for that term. Please note, until a decision has been made on your request, you should consider yourself a non-Florida resident for tuition purposes. It is your responsibility to adhere to all fee payment deadlines for the term. If you are approved for in-state residency after payment is made, you will be refunded the out-of-state portion of your fees.

If you are submitting a Request for Reclassification for Summer term you must do so by the deadline specified, regardless of when your classes begin. The domicile year for which your request is evaluated is also the same and is not dependent on your summer class schedule.

If you have questions or concerns about your particular circumstances, please email the Office of the Registrar.