Mission, Vision and Values
The mission of the University of South Florida's College of The Arts is to conduct scholarly and creative research and to challenge and inspire students to make significant contributions in the arts.
At USF, we provide a learning environment that is engaged locally and nationally in contemporary issues and initiatives.
Our college aspires to achieve national and international recognition as a distinguished center for study, creation, and research (in architecture and community environmental design, publishing of prints and sculpture multiples, visual arts, dance, music, theatre, and contemporary exhibitions).
We provide an innovative and exciting environment to prepare the next generation of architects, artists, designers, educators, scholars, and audiences for these disciplines.
The Arts at USF supports and promotes creative research (including history and theory), performance, and production in these disciplines while continuing to engage the Tampa Bay community by enriching the cultural landscape and advancing sustainable practices.
Our college values the role and function the arts have — both historically and in the present — as a means of discovery, expression, and reflection on our human experience and the world in which we live.
More specifically we value:
- Innovative approaches to teaching that fosters critical thinking, creative problem solving and effective communication
- Rigorous preparation in the foundations of one's discipline as a point of departure for creative development and scholarship
- Significant scholarly and creative research
- The diverse perspectives of faculty, guest artists/lecturers/scholars, and students
- Active involvement in the local, national, and international discipline-based dialog
- Interdisciplinary and collaborative opportunities – locally, nationally, and internationally
- Community engagement and partnerships
- Production and presentation of distinctive contemporary work
- Collegial participation of faculty, staff, and students in efforts of the schools, college, and university