BA Art History Curriculum
The table below is a detailed look at how the 120 credit hours for the Bachelor of Arts in Art History is earned at the USF School of Art & Art History.
Major Core Courses - 41 Hours
- Art Preparation (12 credit hours):
- ARH 2050 History of Visual Arts I*
- ARH 2051 History of Visual Arts II*
- ART 2201C Concepts and Practices I
- ART 2301C Beginning Drawing
*History of Visual Arts I and II must be used to satisfy the General Education Historical Perspectives requirement if the student is to remain within 120 hours for the degree.
2. Art History Survey (18 credit hours):
- ARH 4170 Greek and Roman Art
- ARH 4200 Medieval Art
- ARH 4301 Renaissance Art
- ARH 4310 Early Italian Renaissance
- ARH 4312 Late Italian Renaissance
- ARH 4333 Northern Renaissance Art
- ARH 4350 Baroque and Rococo Art
- ARH 4430 19th Century Art
- ARH 4450 20th Century Art
- ARH 4475C Contemporary Issues in Art
- ARH 4520 African Art
- ARH 4530 Asian Art
- ARH 4571 Themes in Islamic Art and Architecture
- ARH 4930 Art History: Selected Topics*
*ARH 4930 Art History Selected Topics may be taken for degree credit only by approval of the academic advisor for the School of Art and & Art History.
3. Art History Critical Studies or Directed Reading (9 credit hours):**
**Students may substitute 3 hours of ARH 4800 Critical Studies for 3 hours of 4000-level Art History Survey by permission of the instructor.
4. Plus (2 credit hours):
- Extended Studies: required of all majors— - London Middlesex Program, Paris Program, Public Art, Museum Internships, Community Art, Artists Internship/Apprenticeships, Art History Apprenticeships)
Additional Major Requirements
All students earning a Bachelor of Arts in Art History must complete the Foreign Language Exit Requirement.
Students are encouraged to take additional credits in art history critical studies courses and art history survey courses.
Major Grade Requirement
All coursework in The School of Art & Art History must have a grade of "C" or better to satisfy program requirements.
Major Residency Requirement
In accordance with the policies of the University of South Florida a minimum of 50 percent of a candidate's credits in the major must be completed with the School of Art & Art History on the USF Tampa campus.
Major Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Requirement
8 Semester Plan
The recommended eight-semester plan is a guide to help BA in Art History students plan which courses to take next.
The Undergraduate Catalog is a rule book of requirements that must be met to graduate. Follow the guides based on the academic year you were admitted to USF.
Speak with an Advisor
Advisors help with everything from questions about admissions to graduation requirements. They also offer support for your future education and career endeavors.