Masters of Science in Cybersecurity
The Departments of Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, and Industrial and Management Systems Engineering jointly offer a non-thesis option for the degree of Master of Science in Cybersecurity (MSCYS). Degree graduates will demonstrate knowledge of advanced cyberthreats along with technologies and methods for threat mitigation/defense. They will also be able to assess the security needs of systems and develop effective solution strategies. It is important for students to review the Fall/Spring course offerings and develop a coherent plan for degree completion at the start of their program. Students should also maintain close contact with the Program Director and obtain prior approval for course selections. See Graduate Catalog listing (MSCYS).
Total minimum hours: 30 credit hours
Core: 9 credit hours
Electives: 18 credit hours
Cybersecurity Practicum: 3 credit hours
- EEL 6787 Data Network, Systems, and Security Credit Hours: 3
- EEL 6935 Selected Electrical Topics (Cryptography & Data Security) Credit Hours: 3
- CEN 6084 Advances in Object Oriented Programming for IT Credit Hours: 3
Students must complete a minimum of 6 electives (18 credit hours) chosen in consultation with the Graduate Director. The options include:
- EEL 6935 Selected Electrical Topics (Wireless Mobile Computing & Security) Credit Hours: 3
- EEL 6935 Selected Electrical Topics (Advanced Cybersecurity) Credit Hours: 3
- EEL 6935 Selected Electrical Topics (Embedded Systems) Credit Hours: 3
- EEE 6777 Data Analytics Credit Hours: 3
- EEL 6935 Selected Electrical Topics (AI and Security in Cyberphysical Systems) Credit Hours: 3
- CDA 6328 Cryptographic Hardware and Embedded Systems Credit Hours: 3
- CIS 6220 Penetration Testing for IT Credit Hours: 3
- CTS 6716 Network Programming for IT Credit Hours: 3
- CIS 6930 Special Topics (Practical Hardware Security) Credit Hours: 3
- EIN 6883 Cybersecurity Analytics Credit Hours: 3
- EIN 6935 Special Industrial Topics II (Cyber Analytics) Credit Hours: 3
Students must complete 3 hours of Cybersecurity Practicum, done in consultation with the Graduate Director and under the supervision of a mentor.
- EEL 6947 Cybersecurity Practicum Credit Hours: 3
In lieu of a Comprehensive Exam, students will complete a portfolio addressing the content from the core courses (3 courses) and electives (4 courses). This portfolio is completed as part of the EEL 6947 Cybersecurity Practicum course.
Center of Academic Excellence (CAE) Certification Option
For students wanting further National Security Agency/Department of Homeland Security Center of Academic Excellence (NSA/DHS CAE) certification for their degree, 3 additional out-of-college courses are required (9 credit hours). These classes along with the core class EEL 6787 (Data Networks Systems and Security) fulfill the complete CAE certification requirement.
- ISM 6328 Information Security & Risk Management Credit Hours: 3
- ISM 6577 Decision Process BCDR Credit Hours: 3
- MAT 5932 Selected Topics (Applied Cryptography) Credit Hours: 3