Life Cycle Steps
2. Proposal Development
- PI/DRA obtains and reviews sponsor guidelines and funding opportunity deadline dates. PI/DRA determines if funding opportunity is a limited submission.
PI/DRA reviews the award mechanism (e.g., Grant, Cooperative Agreement, Contract, Purchase Order, Pharmaceutical Contract).
- PI/DRA contacts Sponsored Research at the beginning stage of proposal preparation
for assistance in interpreting and adhering to guidelines, policies, deadlines and
- PI informs DRA and Sponsored Research if proposal will be a new application, a resubmission
or a non-competing continuation.
- PI/DRA gathers boiler plate information for the Department/College and institutional data for USF.
- PI develops goals and research plan and/or scope of work (technical proposal).
- PI identifies need for subcontracts, consortia agreements, letters of support, etc.,
- PI identifies any prospective sources of program income, as applicable.
- DRA proofreads and edits the technical proposal, as necessary.
- PI/DRA/Sponsored Research develops the budget (e.g., detailed, modular, spreadsheet)
and budget narrative.
- PI consults with department and college leadership (Chair/unit head) to discuss use
of space and personnel on the proposed project and seeks approval.
- PI identifies compliance issues and needs should the project be funded (e.g., biohazards, radioactive materials, human subject protection, HIPAA, laboratory animals, diving safety, export controls).