Students and claimants who are Non-U.S. Citizens are required to submit documentation to verify permanent resident or visa status IN ADDITION to documentation required for in-state status.
For a permanent resident alien, acceptable documentation includes:
- A copy of the front and back of resident alien card, OR
- Proof of issuance of an I-551, OR
- A copy of your I-485 indicating approval for a change in status.
For an international student, proof of visa status is required. Only the following categories of visa holders are eligible for consideration. All others are ineligible to establish Florida residency for tuition purposes.
- Visa category A - Government official
- Visa category E - Treaty trader or investor
- Visa category G - Representative of international organization
- Visa category H-1 - Temporary worker performing professional nursing services or in a specialty occupation
- Visa category H-4 - Only if spouse or child of alien is classified H-1
- Visa category I – Foreign information media representative
- Visa category K – Fiancé, fiancée or child of a United States citizen
- Visa category L – Intracompany transferee (including spouse or child)
- Visa category N – Parent or child of alien accorded special immigrant status
- Visa category O-1 – Workers of "extraordinary" ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics
- Visa category O-3 – Only if spouse or child of alien is classified O-1
- Visa category R – Religious workers
- Visa category NATO I-7 – Representatives of NATO and their families
Non-U.S. citizens in the following categories are also eligible to establish Florida residency for tuition purposes.
- Citizens of Micronesia
- Citizens of the Marshall Islands
- Beneficiaries of the Family Unity Program
- Individuals granted temporary protected status
- Individuals granted withholding of deportation status
- Individuals granted suspension of deportation status or cancellation of removal
- Individuals granted a stay of deportation status
- Individuals granted deferred enforced departure status
- Applicants for adjustment of status
- Asylum applicants with INS receipt or Immigration Court stamp