Admission Information

Self-Reported Student Academic Record (SSAR)

A student using his laptop in the new Judy Genshaft Honors College building.

Student Self-Reported Academic Record (SSAR)

USF reviews incoming freshmen via their self-reported academic record (SSAR). You must submit your SSAR to be considered for admission. It is critical to take the time to understand and accurately complete the SSAR before you submit to the Office of Admissions.

The Self-Reported Academic Record (SSAR) is a way for you to self-report your courses and grades that you have received, or expect to receive, to support your application. The SSAR replaces the high school and college transcripts portion of your initial application. Accuracy is essential, so make sure you have a copy of your high school transcript available for reference when creating your SSAR.

  • Visit your Applicant Portal for the personalized link, or you can also find it in your Thanks for Applying email sent to your personal email address. 
  • Please note: you will need to activate your NetID before you can login to the Applicant Portal or submit your SSAR.

Applicant Portal

Download SSAR Guide


If you are currently attending a U.S. high school, regardless of your citizenship status, it is required to complete the SSAR.

You should not submit the SSAR if:

  • You obtained your GED.
  • You are applying as a transfer student.
  • You are an international student graduating from a school outside of the U.S.
  • You attend a high school that does not issue A-F grades or grades that can be easily converted to an A-F grade system.

If you fall into one of these categories, you will need to submit your official transcripts to USF.


Watch SSAR's YouTube tutorial playlist that reviews the entire process of completing your SSAR, including how to enter specific types of coursework, like dual enrollment, middle school and more.

If you have specific SSAR questions, please reach out to the SSAR Help Desk.


How to Submit SSAR

Where can I complete the SSAR?

Submit your SSAR on the SSAR portal. The link can be found in your Thanks for Applying email or in the Applicant Portal.

When do I complete the SSAR?

You can start your SSAR in August prior to your senior year, which is when the SSAR website becomes available. You will not be able to link your SSAR to your application until your application has been submitted. While you can begin your admissions application prior to completing your SSAR, your application for admission will be incomplete until your SSAR and test scores have been received.

I have to make changes after I submitted my SSAR. What do I do?

If you need to make changes to your SSAR, please contact Admissions. It is important your information is as accurate as possible before you submit the SSAR, so notify the Office of Admissions of any inaccuracies immediately. 

When do I need to submit my final high school and college (dual enrollment) transcripts?

Students who are admitted to USF must submit their final official transcripts after graduation. USF admissions staff will use these transcripts to ensure the information on your SSAR is accurate. Any inaccuracies could have the following consequences:
  • You could lose your admission to USF.
  • Your scholarship could be reduced or rescinded.
  • Your course registration may be canceled.

Can I submit my SSAR to multiple colleges/universities?

Yes, you can use your SSAR at any college or university that accepts SSAR.

School-Specific Questions:

Can't Find High School Listed

The SSAR website uses a database of high school names from The College Board, which may vary from the everyday name of your school. If you are having a hard time finding your high school’s name, try using variants of the official school name. For example, if you attend T. South High School, search “South High School.” Also, make sure you select the correct state. If you still can’t find your high school, you should contact the Office of Admissions.

International or Overseas Schools

Applicants who should complete the SSAR:

  • Attended a high school regionally accredited in the United States for at least three years.
  • Attended a DODEA (Department of Defense Education Activity) school.

Applicants who should not complete the SSAR:

  • Attended a secondary school located outside the United States for more than one semester.
  • Studied a curriculum that did not follow the standard U.S. system.


Yes, if you have completed an educational curriculum created based on the traditional U.S. system.

Multiple High Schools

List all high schools you have attended and the years you attended them. Enter your courses and grades under the high school where each course was taken.

Class/Course-Specific Questions

Middle School Courses

If courses for high school credit were completed in middle school, then they should be included on the SSAR.

Inputting Grades

Please report all grades as they are listed on your transcript/report card(s). Select the appropriate Grade Scale (e.g., letter grades, numeric grades, letter and numbers, decimal grades or other) on the "Enter High Schools" screen in order to record your grades.

The Course Level field on the SSAR is how you will indicate the type of course you completed or are expected to complete (e.g., dual enrollment, honors, AP, etc.). 

  • Note: if you have taken dual enrollment (DE) courses through a community college or university, the courses should be entered under High School with “dual enrollment” as the course level.

Select the Course Length that best represents how long you took the course and how the school issues final grades (one final grade, semester grades, trimester grades, etc.). Check out SSAR's article on how to list your grades based on Course Length:

  • Note: if you have access to both semester grades and year-end grades for a course, please enter the semester grades.

SSAR Course Length

Please note that all attempted coursework must be listed on the SSAR, including coursework that receives pass/fail grades and repeated coursework.

If your grades do not fall into one of these categories, contact the Office of Admissions at

Senior Year Grade Reporting

List your senior-year classes as “In Progress” since you will have no grades associated with them. If your schedule changes, you must immediately update your SSAR. To make changes, log into the SSAR website with the email and password you used to create your original SSAR.

Summer Courses

Enter the class and grade like you would any other class that you have taken during the regular school year, except record the class in the preceding school year. For example, if you took a class in the summer between 10th and 11th grade, you would enter the class as a 10th grade student.

Early Graduates (e.g., graduating in 3 years)

Please fill out coursework in the 9th grade, 10th grade and 11th grade sections. Your 12th grade sections should be in-progress.