Admission Information

Independent Status

Undergraduate students age 24 or older and all graduate students regardless of age are presumed to be independent by the State. All other students seeking to claim independence must provide proof of independence in addition to Florida residency documentation (see Section II).

To qualify for in-state status, the student must complete the Residency Affidavit and submit copies of eligible documents.

I. Eligible Residency Documents - The State of Florida requires the submission of two documents which must be dated/issued at least 12 months prior to the first day of classes for the semester for which Florida residency is sought. Moreover, if there is evidence of legal ties to another state, Florida residency may not be claimed. The documents submitted must include at least one proof from the list of Primary documents below. No single document shall be conclusive.

Primary Documents:

  • Florida driver's license or State Identification card
  • Florida vehicle registration
  • Florida voter's registration
  • Proof of a homestead exemption in Florida
  • Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida
  • Letter on company letterhead stating that the claimant has been employed at least 30 hours per week for at least 12 months

Secondary Documents:

  • A declaration of domicile in Florida (the date that an applicant shall be deemed as establishing residency for tuition purposes shall be 12 months from the date that the Clerk of Circuit Court notes the declaration)
  • A Florida professional or occupational license
  • Proof of membership in Florida-based charitable or professional organizations
  • Documents evidencing a Florida incorporation
  • Proof of 12 consecutive months of payment on a water, electric, or natural gas bill OR proof of a lease agreement and 12 consecutive months of payment

II. Proof of Independence (required if student is under the age of 24 and is NOT a graduate student)
Students seeking to claim residency as an independent must submit one of the following along with eligible residency documentation outlined above.

  • Marriage license
  • Tax return indicating that the student claims a dependent child OR copy of child's birth certificate
  • Copy of student's tax return (1040) indicating that they have earned at least 51% of the estimated cost of attendance* for the application year AND copy of parent's tax return (1040) indicating that the student is NOT claimed on the parent's taxes

*The estimate is based on the cost of attendance for in-state residents.

Students and claimants who are Non-U.S. Citizens are required to submit documentation to verify permanent resident or visa status IN ADDITION to documentation required for in-state status.