Accounts Receivable

University Accounts

In the event that a student or client of the University becomes delinquent or defaults in repaying charges due the University, the student or client will be liable for collection costs and any other costs incurred by the University in an effort to collect monies due from the student or client.

The University and/or its affiliates shall exert every effort to collect all delinquent accounts and may employ the services of a collection agency. This includes, but is not limited to, contact by manual calling methods, prerecorded or artificial voice messages, emails, automated telephone dialing systems, and letters. Any address or phone number associated with an account, currently or in the future, including wireless telephone numbers, regardless of whether it incurs charges or not, can be used in this collection effort.

For students with an outstanding debt to the University, registration and the release of transcripts would be against current University, State and Federal rules for   collection of University debts and extension of credit. The following are regulations concerning the collection of delinquent accounts.

The current University of South Florida Board of Trustees Regulation Number USF4.009 has the following statement:

"The Controller may employ any of the following means of collecting monies due the University:

(a) Issue University collection letters. (b) Hold all transcripts or current grades. (c) Refuse registration for any future semester until the accounts receivable has been collected. (d) Turn delinquent accounts over to a collection agency designated by Board of Regents. (e) Cancel the current semester's registration. (f) Hold an employee's final paycheck or deduct from the current paycheck the amount due the University to the extent that such amount on accounts receivable represents  a set off of monies wrongfully paid by the State to the employee in accordance with University Regulation. (See USF4-0095)"

From the 2011-2012 Undergraduate Handbook:

"Charges  against students for loss or breakage of University equipment, books, fines and  other charges are due immediately. Delinquent accounts may be considered  sufficient cause for cancellation of registration. University regulations  prohibit registration, or release of transcript, diploma, or grades for any  student whose account with the University is delinquent. Delinquent accounts  may be turned over to a collection agency and all collection costs including  legal fees will be added to the student account balance. Financial aid from a  succeeding academic year cannot be used to repay prior academic year debts.  Payments can be brought into the Cashier's Office in the Administration  Building, mailed to Tuition, University of South Florida, P.O. Box 864571,  Orlando, FL 32886-4571, or can be made online by accessing OASIS at and should be made by the appropriate deadline."

The Accounts Receivable Office is responsible for collecting   outstanding debts owed to many departments in the University by students   and staff in OASIS. The A/R office does not   house back up documentation supporting charges.  Questions about individual charges should be directed to the department.   If the department agrees to issue a credit they will notify the   department of Accounts Receivable   to make an adjustment to the OASIS system. Only the department that   initiated the charge can authorize a credit.

Athletics (813)974-4061
Bookstore (813)974-2631
Dining Services (813)974-5021
Office of Financial Aid (813)974-4700
General Counsel (813)974-2131
Graduate Studies (813)974-2846
St. Petersburg Housing (727)873-4826
Tampa Housing (813)974-4310
USF Florida Prepaid (813)974-4886
St. Petersburg Library (727)873-4843
Tampa Library (813)974-4497|
Office of the Registrar (813)974-2000
College of Medicine Graduate Affairs (813)974-4465
Student Accounting (813)974-6042
Student Health Services (813)974-2331
Office of Education Abroad (813)974-4314
Honors College (813)974-3087

For more information, please contact Accounts Receivable at (813) 974-6052.