USF Drone Policy and Procedure


UAS (Drone) Policy and Procedure Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Where can I find the forms required for USF business approval of drone usage?
    There are three steps involved in obtaining approval. Each requires a separate form that can be obtained at:

  2. Where do I submit forms for the UAS (drone) Procedure Approval process?
    Step 1 should be submitted to Thomas Bradley at;
    Step 2 should be submitted to Jeanette Woss at;
    Step 3A should be submitted to Eric M. Kern at;
    Step 3B should be signed by the Dean of your college and submitted to William Land at;

  3. What is the required time frame for submitting the request?
    Requests should be submitted three (3) weeks prior to requested flight dates.

  4. What Federal Agency governs UAS (drone) usage?
    The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is responsible for the regulations outlined in USF Policy 6-036. These regulations govern drone usage in U.S. airspace. Please make note that foreign countries each have individual drone usage laws covering their airspace and the requestor is responsible for determining and complying with all applicable laws.

  5. Where can I get additional information about FAA regulations?
    Please visit

  6. Whom can I contact if I have questions related to the approval process?
    For more information regarding this policy, please contact USF Environmental Health and Safety.

  7. Can drones be used on USF property for recreation or hobby purposes?
    Per USF Policy 6-036, no drones may be used on USF property unless it is for an approved USF business purpose.

  8. Do drones owned by USF, weighing less than 0.55 pounds, need to be registered with the FAA?
    All drones purchased by USF need to be registered with the FAA. Small unmanned aircraft can be registered with the FAA either by registering online or by using the legacy paper based registration process.

  9. Does my drone need to be marked in anyway?
    FAA law requires that small unmanned aircraft be registered and marked with a registration number received during the process.

  10. When completing the procedure forms, do I need to indicate my intent to fly over people?
    Yes; however, be aware that flying over individuals, wherever located, requires a waiver
    to Part 107.39 from the FAA. Waivers are special permissions the FAA issues to
    authorize certain types of UAS operations. An online portal is available through for people to apply for these and other potentially applicable waivers.
    After a waiver request is submitted, processing times vary depending on the complexity
    of the request. Applicants are encouraged to apply well in advance of the intended
    flight date the waiver is required and FAA approval documentation must be provided
    prior to UAS usage over people. It is strongly encouraged applicants apply no less than
    90 days prior to usage.

  11. Do I always have to have my Certificate of Aircraft Registration with me while flying my UAS?
    Yes. You must have the FAA registration certificate in your possession when operating
    an unmanned aircraft. The certificate can be available either on paper or electronically.
    If another person operates your UAS, the pilot’s and/or operator’s information must be
    included in the approval application and they must have the UAS registration certificate
    in their possession. You can give them a paper copy or email a copy to them.
    Federal law requires UAS operators who are required to register (those not flying
    exclusively under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft) to show the certificate of
    registration to any Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer if asked. You can
    show it electronically or show the printed certificate.

  12. Are all forms required for every project?
    Forms 1 and 2 and required for every project. Form 3A is required for research related
    usage and Form 3B is required for instructional or educational usage.