Mission and Vision
The Department of Integrative Biology emphasizes learning and teaching about interactions, across all scales, among humans and other diverse organisms in a range of environments. These interactions mediate the resilience of natural biotic systems, and enhance the sustainability of products and processes that are beneficial to ecosystems and consequently to human well-being. Thus, our mission is to create new knowledge and promote learning about ecosystem health and sustainability
The Vision of the Department of Integrative Biology is to:
- Attain the status of the premier Biology Department in the State of Florida as reflected
in the research metrics of per capita:
- grants and grant dollars,
- publications, and
- citations of faculty publications.
- Lead the University of South Florida in innovative and effective teaching and training
measured by the:
- selectivity of our graduate admissions
- productivity of our graduate students (publications, presentations, grants, and awards)
- average time to degree for undergraduate and graduate students
- job placement of our undergraduate and graduate alums
- the proportion of courses that use pedagogical techniques that have been demonstrated
to improve student learning.
- Improve the diversity, quality, and quantity of services that our department offers to academia, the University of South Florida, and the region, state and country.