New Employees FAQ

Welcome and Congratulations on becoming a member of USF and the Department of Integrative Biology!

We hope that the information provided here will help you get acquainted with our department, USF and the Tampa bay region.  If you find yourself with any questions, need help with any topics not covered here, or have topic suggestions, please feel free to reach out to your supervisor or our department offices.

We are excited to start working with you!

Pre- arrival check list

  • International hires should plan for their date of arrival in the USA.  Completion of the hiring paperwork and setup of your USF requires a social security card number, which can take 10-15 business days to process after application at a US office.  Therefore, it is recommended your arrival date in the USA should be at least 2-3 weeks ahead of your anticipated start date if at all possible. For more information on being an international student/staff or international resources, please visit USF World 

  • Complete hiring paperwork through USF Department of Human Resources at the campus you have been assigned to.

  • Setup your USF Net ID.  This will be your login information to access the USF network and will serve as a handle for your USF e-mail.  For step by step directions on how to setup your Net ID click Here

  • For Tampa hires: please send USF e-mail address and Net ID to the Academic Services Administrator.  They will help you with other department training and access to department systems.

  • For St. Petersburg and Sarasota-Manatee hires: please inform your supervisor and hiring contact when your Net ID is active.

  • Review campus map and identify parking areas

  • Find a place to live!  USF IB can help you get in touch with local real estate agents who can help you with a purchase or rental. 

    We recommend Clarence Hasenbeck; http://www.hasenbeckhomes.com/9500 KOGER #103, SAINT PETERSBURG, FL 33702
    Tel: (727) 492-9846

Your first week

  • Setup your direct deposit through the MyUSF login. Navigate to Business Systems > GEMS self-service.  Once in GEMS you can update your direct deposit information and address information.   You can use this portal at any time to keep your personal employee information up to date, request leave and to view your paychecks.  For more information on your paycheck check out:  https://www.usf.edu/business-finance/controller/payroll/aboutyourpaycheck.aspx

  • Visit parking services with a copy of your letter of offer to get a temporary 2 week parking pass

  •  Order your USF Parking Pass

  • Attain your USF ID card from the USF Card Office. Your ID card can be used to access certain buildings after hours and can also function as a re-loadable meal card.

  • Gain access to shared department calendars

  • Gain access to shared Box drive folders

  • Show you how to sign up for training and view you paycheck etc.

  • Get a list of office supplies from you

  • Setup your phone and voicemail (if applicable)

  • Setup printing

  • Show you how to get in touch with IT services

  • Get keys to your lab space

  • Show you where to get your campus ID card 

  • For Other campuses, please see your supervisor for questions on these items.

  • Setup Outlook and familiarize yourself with USF Directories

  • Setup a meeting with your supervisor to discuss your work hours and duties

Where can I get help with teaching or information on instructional resources?

USF Academy for Teaching and Learning Excellence (ATLE) is a great resource for training, networking and assistance with course design and current best practices.  Check out their resources https://www.usf.edu/atle/

Where do I order Keys?

Tampa campus employees can order keys using our online Key Request Form 

St. Petersburg and Sarasota-Manatee employees should see their supervisor about the process.

Classrooms and non-department controlled rooms will be unlocked 15 minutes before the start of class. For technical assistance during class, contact IT at help@usf.edu or 974-1222.

I’m a graduate student.  Where do I get information on my employment and degree program?

You can find information on your degree program including links to the academic catalog and admission information on our website

For students in the M.S. Biology or Ph.D. Integrative Biology, more detailed information can be found in the Graduate Handbook for the year of your program start 

For all other questions, please see your Program Support Staff or Graduate Director 

Are there department vehicles I can use for teaching & research? 

Tampa - Department vehicles are available to be taken out by USF Students and Faculty at any time.  Vehicles can be reserved using a google sign-up sheet found on the Internal Forms page

First time vehicle users must be registered with the department.  Please review the Vehicle Procedures and Policies on the IB Website and then submit a Vehicle User Sign Up Form 

For questions on vehicle use, please see Brie Matier or vehicle issues submit a Repair Request 

Who would I talk to for help with arranging travel, either for a visitor to our department or if I need to travel for teaching/research?

  • Tampa - Within the College of Arts and Sciences the Business Support Services staff can handle all of your travel setup including your travel authorization request which must be submitted and fully approved prior to your first anticipated travel date. You can submit a travel request through their website.
  • Department office staff are trained in setting up travel requests and are familiar with travel policy.  Staff offer training once per semester on travel and are available to help to answer questions related to travel on an as needed basis.  If this will be the first time traveling or arranging travel for an outside guest, you are strongly encouraged to speak with a member of our department staff prior to making any arrangements or extending invitations.
  • NOTE FOR Tampa STUDENTS - If you are a student who has been given travel funding by the department, you are required to meet with a member of staff to help with your travel booking in order to receive your funding.

Where do I go for information on health benefits?

  • STUDENTS – Information on the student health insurance plan can be found: Here.
  • The Student Health Services center can provide assistance with a number of wellness areas including access to health professionals, pharmacy, counselling, nutrition and disability accommodation services.
  • The Student Wellness Center provides a holistic approach to your environmental, emotional, intellectual, physical and social wellness.  For more information visit their website