The Zimmerman School of Advertising & Mass Communications Internship Program facilitates partnerships between qualified mass communications students and industry sponsors who offer students professional learning opportunities.
Experiential learning is an important part of the Zimmerman School degree programs. Students are strongly encouraged to complete multiple internships.
Students can earn course credit that counts as elective credit in their degree programs.
- Students should have a 3.0 GPA. Qualified students planning to participate in an internship for credit will register for MMC 4945. Students must complete the required paperwork (resume, a PDF of DegreeWorks, an internship application and a sponsor form) before a permit will be issued. MMC 4945 is offered in Fall, Spring and Summer C.
- Students must work 100 hours per credit hour -- up to three credit hours per semester -- and complete weekly online assignments.
- At the end of the term, students will be evaluated by both their industry sponsor and the internship instructor. Students also must create a portfolio of their work and complete a presentation to the instructor and other students.
- The course is repeatable. Students can earn up to six credit hours while in the Zimmerman School.
- Internship credit cannot be awarded retroactively. Students must be enrolled in the course before beginning their work.
Finding an internship is the students’ responsibility. However, the Zimmerman School has a WordPress site where positions are posted: https://smcinternships.wordpress.com. Internships also may be posted to the majors Canvas page.
If you have any questions, contact Wendy Whitt at email@example.com.