About Us

Frequently Asked Questions



- Who is my advisor?

The Undergraduate Advisor for the Department of Criminology is Cindy Moore. The advising suite is located in the Social Science Building (SOC), Room 305-316. The office is on the third floor, directly to the left of the elevators.

- How do I contact my advisor?

Students are encouraged to make appointments, especially when wanting to have an audit review of coursework. Walk-ins are also taken on a first-come-first-serve basis, in between scheduled appointments. If you have a question that does not require an appointment and is not able to be answered here with the FAQs sheet, you may also email Amber Oderinde. Regular office hours are Monday through Friday 9am to 430pm, walk- ins are accepted on Fridays.

- How do I schedule an appointment with my advisor?

You may now book your own appointment in advising by going to: Advisor Appointment Scheduler. Or, if you are not currently a student then visit the following link to schedule and appointment, Non-Student Scheduler.

If you are an active student, click student appointments. You must have your student U#, phone #, and identify what you will need for your advising appointment. For non-student, or students that are not currently active, click non-student registration. You may book an appointment up to six weeks in advance for open slots and the appointment is booked for a 15 minute time. If you need to book longer appoints just let us know and we will be happy to accommodate you.

- What do I do if I make an appointment online using the scheduler and I am unable to meet or need to make a change?

To make a change to your appointment or select another appointment time, simply begin scheduling a new appointment. You will then see a pop up window that indicates you have an appointment (the previously scheduled one) and you will be asked if you wish to cancel that appointment. Press cancel and continue to make the new appointment. If the system gives you an error message, please feel free to email either Amber Oderinde.

- How would seeing an advisor benefit me?

Students are strongly cautioned against self advising and/or peer advising, during their academic career at the University of South Florida. The SASS audits are sometimes difficult to read and there are requirements that are not always clear to students. Related to the major, there is a sequence of classes that are recommended to students and customized depending upon individual strengths and weaknesses. Outside the major, we also have classes that we can recommend to you that social science students tend to perform better in.

- How often should I speak with my advisor?

You may feel free to meet with an advisor as often as you wish, however, we recommend meeting with an advisor at least once a semester and prior to registration to ensure good academic progress and completion of your degree within 4 years. We encourage students to make appointments prior to peak times (two weeks prior to registration and throughout add/drop week).


- What is academic dismissal?

When a student remains below a 2.0 GPA for two or more consecutive semesters they are placed on academic dismissal. This means that technically the student has been dismissed from the University and must petition for readmission.

- What do I do if I am on academic dismissal?

When you are placed on academic dismissal your oasis account is essentially frozen. This means you will not be able to drop or add any courses. The first step is to apply for readmission by making an appointment to meet with your major advisor (in person only) to create an academic plan and you must also complete a reinstatement form. To schedule an advising appointment click on the following link: Advisor Appointment Scheduler

- How long will I be on academic dismissal?

Students have two semesters to raise their GPA to a 2.0. Students MUST meet the requirements set forth in the academic plan as well as the semester GPA decided upon by the ARC committee.

- What is an academic dismissal plan?

A written contract between the student and their major department for the express purpose of creating a plan of action to return the student to good academic standing. The plan will provide a two semester course of action which clearly outlines for the student their responsibilities, suggested course, and meeting and written requirements. Students must follow this plan or they will not be supported by the department if they fail to raise their GPA after the first semester.

- What happens if I violate the conditions of my academic dismissal plan?

If you violate any of the conditions outlined in your academic dismissal plan, you may be permanently dismissed from the university. If this happens you must reapply to the university by following the instructions listed under, "What do I do if I am on academic dismissal?"


- What does it mean if I am placed on academic probation?

It means that either your USF GPA, your cumulative GPA or both GPA's have fallen below a 2.0. You have two semesters to raise your GPA above a 2.0. We strongly recommend you see your advisor to devise a plan of action to accomplish this goal.

- What does it mean if I am placed on final academic probation?

It means that you completed one semester and still failed to raise your GPA to a 2.0. You have one additional semester to raise your GPA to a 2.0. If you fail to raise your GPA you will be placed on academic dismissal. We strongly recommend you see your major advisor to devise a plan of action before you are placed on academic dismissal.


- How do I add a criminology course during drop/add week?

To add a course in the major, you must get the permission of the instructor during drop/add week. The easiest way to do this is to attend class on the first day. If the instructor gives you permission to join, she/he will write your name, student u#, and phone number on their first day roll. You will be permitted usually within 24 hours and this will allow you access to register for the class through your OASIS account. If you are trying to add after the first day of class, you will need to contact the instructor via some other means and get written permission to add the course and bring that information to one of your undergraduate advisor, Cindy Moore. The advisors cannot add a student to any criminology course this week without such instructor permission.

- How do I add a course outside the criminology department?

Check for open seats for the class in OASIS and add the course through your online registration if you are able to do so. If you get a message stating that you need a permit to enroll, you must check with the department that the course is listed under to see what that department requires or if they are allowing students in to the course.

- How can I late add a course?

If you are trying to add a course after the free drop/add week, you must first get permission from the instructor for that class. If they will allow you to late add, you must get an ARC petition from the Dean's Office (located in MHC 1143). You must have the instructor complete the Instructor Statement and then you must complete the ARC petition and bring to advising in the department where the class is located and they will stamp over your signature on the petition. This petition is then submitted back to MHC 1143 for committee review. In the Department of Criminology, the ONLY person who can stamp these petitions for late adds for criminology classes is your advisor, Cindy Moore.

- How do I avoid being charged with a $100 late registration fee?

You must register for at least ONE class prior to the first day of classes for each term. If you are not registered for one class at all times, you will be assessed a $100 late registration fee in addition to any tuition. You can switch, add, or drop courses anytime during drop/add week without penalty as long as you are actively registered in at least one course.

- How do I withdraw from a course during drop/add week?

You may drop yourself out of any class that you registered for by going into OASIS and withdrawing in the registration area of the menu. You will not be refunded for the fees for the class after drop/add week, so you must drop before the deadline to get your money back or have the class fees cancelled.

- How do I withdraw from a course after drop/add week ends with a "W"?

You may withdraw from any course in which you are enrolled through the OASIS registration menu, but you will not be refunded for fees after drop/add week. You may drop classes up to the posted deadline (see your student catalog or Registrar's Office for this schedule), but usually sometime up to the 10th week of classes.

- How do I withdraw from a course after drop/add week and request a refund of tuition?

To get a refund, students must present a compelling and valid reason to the ARC committee as to why their monies should be reimbursed from the university. The first step is to get this withdrawal approved through submitting an ARC petition (found in MHC 1143 Dean's Office). You must have the instructor for the course complete their section of the ARC petition and no department stamp is needed prior to submitting. If approved, you must then fill out a Fee Waiver form. The USF Cashier's Office will then process your refund.

- How many courses can I withdraw from?

You may drop as many classes as you choose, but you are responsible to meet all requirements for scholarships and financial aid. Consult these offices prior to dropping courses to ensure continuance of funding.

- Does withdrawing affect my gpa? Financial aid? Scholarship?

Withdrawing does not hurt your GPA provided that you have dropped within the free drop period. If you do not formally withdraw from classes prior to the drop deadline (usually about ten weeks into the semester), then you will be failed and received an F for this courses for that term, regardless of whether you attended. However, we strongly recommend that you check with both Financial Aid and your scholarship representative to ensure that you are meeting requirements for total hours of enrollment prior to dropping any classes.


- What are the maximum amount of hours credit for CLEP and AP tests?

Up to 45 hours of credit may be applied from CLEP or AP credit toward your degree at USF.

- Where can I take the exam? Is there a time frame for tests?

Please contact Evaluation & Testing Services in the Student Services Building (SVC) to get information on available test dates for CLEP. You can take the test at any time during your coursework at USF. To contact Evaluation and Testing Services dial 813-974-2741.


- What is CLAS? Is it required?

The old requirement was the CLAST- which is now the CLAS because he State Legislature in Summer of 2009 voted to remove the test option to close the requirement. This is a state-mandated exam that all college students in the state of Florida must successfully pass. The four components of the requirement include: comprehension, reading, writing, and an essay portion.

- How do I meet the CLAS Math Requirement?

Computation skills: A quantitative score of five hundred (500) or above on the SAT Reasoning Test, recentered SAT I, or its equivalent; a score of twenty-one (21) or above on the Enhanced or original ACT in mathematics; or a 2.5 grade point average in two (2) *Gordon math courses for a minimum of six (6) semesters hours of credit from one of the options below; or a 2.0 grade point average in three (3) *Gordon math courses for a minimum of nine (9) semester ours from any combination of the courses below:

*PHI and CGS courses do not meet criteria to exempt CLAS math.

Another option is to take the CPT-Elem Alg sub-test (passing score is 91), here's a description of the test:


A total of 12 questions are administered in this test.

Registration info for CPT is available at the following link: Testing Services.

The Learning Commons can provide review for students for sections of CPT. (813)-974-2713, LIB 206.

- How do I meet the CLAS Essay Requirement?

You can exempt the requirement w/a 2.5 (B and C) avg. between two *Gordon Communication courses (*excluding SPC prefix). You can also exempt the requirement w/a 2.0(C) avg. between three *Gordon Communication courses (*excluding SPC prefix).

A list of Gordon courses is in the undergraduate catalog.

If you opt to take the CPT-essay (passing score is 105), here's a description of the test:


This test measures your ability to write effectively, which is critical to academic success.

Your writing sample will be scored on the basis of how effectively it communicates a whole message to the readers for the stated purpose. Your score will based on your ability to express, organize, and support your opinions and ideas, not the position you take on the essay topic. The following five characteristics of writing will be considered:

Registration info for CPT is available at the following link: Testing Services

The Learning Commons can provide review for students for sections of CPT. (813)-974-2713 LIB 206.

- How do I meet the CLAS Reading Requirement

Here are ways to meet the requirement:

A list of Gordon courses is in the undergraduate catalog.

You may also opt to take the CPT-R (passing score is 93), here's a description of the test:


There are 20 questions of two primary types on the Reading Comprehension test.

Registration info for CPT is available at the following link: Testing Services.

The Learning Commons can provide review for students for sections of CPT. (813)-974-2713 LIB 206.

- How do I meet the CLAS English Language Skills Requirement

Here are ways to meet the requirement:

A list of Gordon courses is in the undergraduate catalog.

If you opt to take the CPT-S/Sentence Skills sub-test (passing score is 105), here's a description of the test:


There are 20 Sentence Skills questions of two types.

Within these two primary categories, the questions are also classified according to the skills being tested. Some questions deal with the logic of the sentence, others with whether or not the answer is a complete sentence, and still others with the relationship between coordination and subordination.

Registration info for CPT is available at the following link: Testing Services.

The Learning Commons can provide review for students for sections of CPT. (813)-974-2713 LIB 206.

- What is a CPT? What are the costs of the CPT? What is the testing schedule?

The primary function of the CPT is to determine which course placements are appropriate for college students and whether developmental studies are needed. First-time test takers must pay the $25 registration fee prior to scheduling the exam. Retakes of any subsection of the CPT are $35. Students must wait at least 5 business days (or less with written advisor approval) to retake the CPT. For more information concerning the CPT, please visit Testing Services.

- What is a TC/TS hold?

These holds will NOT prohibit your registration as it is meant to give you early warnings that the CLAS is still not met and that you should give meeting the requirements a high priority. A TS will appear when the student has reached 70 hours and still has not completed a portion of the CLAS successfully.

- What is a TL hold?

This hold is placed on a student that has reached 36 hrs earned at upper level (3000-4000). Students are without exception now barred from taking any upper level (3000-4000) classes until they have PASSED the CLAST. There is no petition process or waiver allowed for this state mandated hold.


- Are there specific requirements to be accepted into criminology?

Criminology is not a limited access program therefore there are no specific requirements for acceptance. However students must maintain a 2.0 GPA and cannot receive more than one "D" or "F" in the major.    - What happens if I have more than one "D" or "F" in the major?

If you have more than one "D or "F" in criminology you are temporarily suspended from the major until you remove one of the two poor grades. You need to see your advisor regarding your specific situation.

- What do I do if I am put on academic dismissal?

When you are placed on academic dismissal your oasis account is essentially frozen. This means you will not be able to drop or add any courses. The first step is to contact and meet with your major advisor to design an academic plan. For additional information visit the academic dismissal section contained with in the FAQ's.


- What is cross enrollment/transient student?

Students who are enrolled at USF and another school simultaneously. Transient student status is when a student is admitted at USF, but is solely taking classes at another institution. Dual enrollment describes those high school students who are also getting college credit at USF.

- What Criminology courses can I take under cross enrollment/transient student?

For the major of Criminology, students may take up to 6 hours at a 4-year institution of higher learning other than USF. Classes at other two-year or community colleges generally are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Students are encouraged to have copies of their syllabi and/or course description from the school before meeting with your advisor to determine if they are eligible for USF credit for classes in question.

- How many courses can I take at schools other than USF?

This is determined by the College of Behavioral and Community Sciences Deans office on an individual basis. Please note, you must meet University (30 hrs) and Departmental (36 hrs) residency requirements.

- What steps do I need to take to complete a cross enrollment/transient student course?

You must fill out a form PRIOR to taking the class to get credit through the USF College of Behavioral and Community Sciences Dean's Office. This procedure guarantees that your class credit will transfer. Go to MHC 1143 for more information.


- How do I declare my major or a double major?

To declare a major or to change to another major you can go online to the College of Behavioral and Community Sciences website.   Click on the current students tab, click undergraduate, click student forms. Complete the declaration of major form then email it to the email address located on the top of the form. If you a new major in the Department of Criminology, we urge you to make an advising appointment using our appointment scheduler after you declare.

- When do I declare my major?

USF would like you to declare a major as soon as you have decided upon one. This allows you to establish a relationship with your academic advisor to ensure you are on track for success at USF at all times. However, you cannot register for Criminology classes unless you are a declared major.

- What are the disadvantages and advantages of declaring a minor?

A disadvantage of declaring a minor is that it limits the amount of free electives that you have in your time at USF. On the positive side, it gives you an opportunity to get a multidisciplinary perspective in different subjects. It is highly recommended that students wishing to go on to graduate or professional secondary education pursue a minor of their choice. For example, students wishing to attend law school are encouraged to take an English or Political Science minor to help them with their future law career.

- How do I declare a minor?

To declare a minor please complete the minor declaration form located on the College of Behavior and Community Sciences website. You must meet with an academic advisor for the department that you would like a minor in to determine department specific requirements.


- Is there a limit to the amount of credit I can earn via Distance Learning?

No, you can take as many classes as are available through online mediums via the USF Blackboard system.

- How do I attend online classes?

Online classes are attended through the Blackboard system. If you have not so already, the University requires you to set up a login and check-in for your classes at MyUSF. When accessing MyUSF, you may use library resources, attend online classes, and check your grades, etc. Each online course is different, so please consult the syllabus of each class to learn the different requirements and due dates.

EXIT REQUIREMENTS- for catalogs prior to Fall 2009

- What are the liberal arts exit requirements?

There are three hours of liberal arts exits required under the Literature & Writing and another three hours of Major Works & Issues outside the discipline in Social Science (cluster 3).

- Can I transfer courses to fulfill the exit requirements?

No, you must take these courses at USF as the graduating institution.

- If I take an exit listed in both areas, does it fulfill both exit requirements?

No, you must take 3 hours of Literature & Writing and 3 hours of Major Works and Issues to satisfy the liberal arts exit requirements.

- If I take an exit requirement that is cross listed in two different departments, how do I know which cluster it will fall in?

You can register via the department reference number to ensure that it will count toward that cluster.

- How do I know what is considered outside the discipline?

Your discipline is Cluster 3 – Social Science. Three hours of the Nine required hours must fall outside the social sciences discipline. See your advisor for a comprehensive list of the Liberal Arts Exit Requirements.

EXIT REQUIREMENTS- for catalogs Fall 2009 and thereafter

- What are the exit requirements?

To fulfill the upper level requirement of the FKL (Foundations of Knowledge and Learning) core curriculum you must complete one Writing Intensive course and one Capstone course. The senior seminar (CCJ 4934) which is a core requirement for the major, is also considered a Capstone course. Therefore to meet the FKL upper level requirement, Criminology majors will complete senior seminar (CCJ 4934) and 3 credit hours of a Writing Intensive course.

- What is a Writing Intensive Course?

Writing intensive courses continue the emphasis of the Core Curriculum on writing. In addition, these courses may focus on writing within your academic discipline. In these courses, you will gain skills that prepare you for professional work or graduate studies. In all cases, the emphasis is on the processes of communication both within and among disciplines and for multiple audiences. Writing-intensive courses must meet or exceed the current Gordon Rule communication requirements. Click the following link to view a comprehensive list of all courses that meet this requirement: Writing Intensive Capstone Courses.


- Do I still have to complete the language if I took it in high school?

Yes. Completion of high school foreign language meets the entrance requirements at USF, but you are still required to take another two semesters of the same foreign language. You must make a C or better in the last of the two semesters in the language.

- What if I am a native speaker of a language?

If you are a fluent speaker, you can place out or CLEP out for credit. In place of the foreign language credits, you will then take elective classes instead to meet the total number of hours required for your degree.

- Do I have to take the same language I did in high school?

No, you can take any language

- Do I have to take them consecutively?

No but they must be two semesters of the same language.


There are two parts to all foreign language courses with the exception of sign language. In other words each course has a lecture and a lab. All lab courses are S/U only. No lecture courses may be taken S/U and you must receive a grade of "C" or better in the second portion of the language.

- How do I waive the foreign language requirement?

You can either CLEP or place out of the language (placement applies to Spanish, German, French and American Sign Language only). Please note that placement test fees are now $15 and are required to be permitted into the course.

- What do I need a permit for Spanish, French, and German?

You must take a placement test in order to register for any of the above mentioned languages. You may contact the World Language Department at 813-974-2548 for more information on times and days that the placement is held.


- What is grade forgiveness?

Permits an undergraduate to repeat a course and have the repeated grade computed in his/her GPA in place of the original grade, providing the repeat grade is "D" or higher (exception - see Honors at Graduation). A course that is repeated and the repeat grade is "F" will have both grades calculated into the GPA. Normally, grade forgiveness may only be applied to a specific course that a student chooses to repeat. No course taken on the S/U grade basis may have the grade forgiveness applied. Under unusual circumstances, a different but similar course may be used if the substitute course has been previously approved by the college dean and is on file in the Office of Admissions & Records. The grade forgiveness policy cannot apply to any course in which the grade of "FF" has been recorded.

- How do I complete a grade forgiveness and how many courses can I grade forgive?

- How does this look on my transcript?

All grades remain on the transcript. The original course grade will be annotated with "R" to indicate that the course has subsequently been repeated and the original grade is not computed in the GPA.

- Are there any restrictions to grade forgivenesses?

Yes, the policy applies only to courses taken originally at USF and repeated at USF. No cross institutional grade forgivenesses are accepted.


- Where do I go to apply for graduation?

Either complete the online form http://www.cbcs.usf.edu/CurrentStudents/UndergradForms.cfm Opens in a new window and submit signed form to MHC 1143 or go to MHC 1143 to complete the form

- When do I apply for graduation?

Applications are accepted during the four weeks of the term the student will be completing all degree requirements.

- Can I participate in the ceremony even though I have courses remaining?

You can participate in the ceremony with 9 hrs remaining to complete your degree

-If I miss the deadline, can I still apply?

If you miss the deadline then you will be able to complete an application and pay the $50 late fee until two weeks prior to the end of the semester.

- If I apply for graduation and get denied do I need to apply again?

Yes you need to apply for graduation in the semester you will actually complete all degree requirements. You can still participate in the ceremony if you will be denied graduation.


- Is orientation mandatory?

Yes you cannot register for courses until you complete the orientation process and declare your major.

- When is orientation scheduled?

Transfer orientation scheduling varies. For more information, please click here.

Freshman orientation is a two day process, to register for freshman orientation visit the orientation website


- What method is used to register for courses?

Students register for courses using OASIS. Log into your oasis account, select "student records", indicate the term you wish to be enrolled, designate the "drop/add classes" link, and enter the CRN for the desired open courses.

- How do I register for courses?

Log into your oasis account and register for courses. All major courses are open to junior and senior declared majors.

- When does registration take place for each semester?

- When are schedules released?

Schedules are released approximately 3 weeks prior to registration.

- What is the frequency in which courses are offered?

We offer required courses and a wide array of electives every semester, including summer.

- Should I see my advisor regarding scheduling courses?

Yes you should see your advisor prior to attempting to schedule your courses. For your convenience, we now have an online appointment scheduler. To use this mechanism for scheduling an appointment, please use the Advisor Appointment Scheduler.

- Are there restrictions on registering for Criminology courses?

In some cases, yes. Restrictions will be noted in the course descriptions in the "Schedule Search".

Major restriction: you must be a declared criminology major in order to be able to register for courses.

- If I am a minor or double major how can I register for the Criminology courses?

Contact advising office via email, phone, or in person. Identify yourself as a minor or double major, leave your name, usf id, phone number, and reference numbers on the day of your registration and we will assist you with a permit for the registration.


- How many times can I repeat a course?

Initiated by the Florida Legislature (H.B. 1545 of 1997) to reduce costs, all state universities must monitor undergraduate student progress and charge students the "full cost of instruction" for certain repeats of undergraduate courses. This policy became effective Fall 1997 and requires USF to charge students a substantial per credit hour surcharge when they attempt a course three or more times at USF, unless the course is specifically designed to be repeated or is required to be repeated by their major. Requirements to earn a passing or higher grade than previously earned in a course do not exempt the surcharge. Students will be required to pay the surcharge in addition to the appropriate in-state or out-of-state tuition rates. It is important to note that all attempts count, including withdrawals after the first week of classes and courses with incomplete grades.

- What is the cost involved?

The cost is typically three times that of an on campus 3 credit hour course.


- What courses am I allowed to take S/U?

No-option Courses. Certain courses have been designated as S/U courses. The "S" and "U" grades are used to indicate the student's final grade. These S/U only courses are identified with (S/U only) after the course definition in this catalog. No grading system option is available to students or faculty in these courses.

Option Courses. Any undergraduate course may be taken on an S/U basis by a student under the following conditions and restrictions:

- How many courses can I take on a pass/fail basis?

You may not take more than 19 hrs total toward your degree.

- How can I process an S/U grade?

The method by which a student receives an "S" or "U" grade in an option course will consist of the following:

A written agreement signed by both instructor and student shall be filed with such offices as may be designated by the college. The college shall set the deadline (no later than the last day of classes for the term) for the student to decide if he/she wishes to take the course on an S/U basis.       The instructor shall assign final letter grades A, B, C, D, F, or I, but will transmit to the Registrar "S" or "U" consistent with the following:           Letter grade, A, B, or C, shall be equivalent to a letter grade of "S."           Letter grades D or F shall be equivalent to a letter grade of "U." "S" and "U" grades are not computed in the student's GPA.

- Does that average into my gpa?

No it does not impact your grade point average


- What is a SASS report?

An inventory of all courses you have taken at USF and other institutions.

- How do I receive a copy?

When you come in for your regular advising appointment you will receive a copy of your sass report along with an explanation of the courses remaining to complete all degree requirements.

- How often should I request it?

You should get a sass report every semester to ensure there are no errors and that you are making consistent progression toward degree completion

- How do I interpret a SASS report?

It is best to see your advisor to explain how to properly interpret your sass report.


- How long does it take for transfer credits to be approved? Will I be notified?

It may take several weeks to evaluate transfer credit. Students are encouraged to meet with an advisor to determine how many hours have transferred to USF.

- If I don't receive credit for all of my transfer work can I petition the decision?

Yes, please bring any discrepancies to the attention of the major advisor so that they can help to determine next course of action.

- Which courses are accepted within the major from previous institutions?

The Criminology department has a 30 hr residency requirement. This means that a maximum of 6 hrs will be accepted to count toward the completion of the major requirements. Please note, this does not mean that the credit hours will be lost, they will apply towards completion of the total hours required to obtain the bachelor's degree, they will simply not count toward the major requirements. From community colleges we accept Introduction to Criminal Justice only. Courses taken at four year institutions will be evaluated on a case by case basis to determine the appropriate course substitution.

- Do you accept academy credit?

No we do not accept academy credit or life experience at USF.