Faculty & Staff
Sandra Stone, Ph.D.
University of West Georgia – B.A., Summa Cum Laude, sociology and psychology
University of West Georgia – M.A., psychology
Emory University – Ph.D., sociology – social psychology concentration.
Tulane University – post-doctoral certificate, organizational behavior
Selected Special Training/Certifications:
- Child Advocacy -- Foundations for OutReach through Experiential Child Advocacy Studies Training (FORECAST), Univ. of Missouri St. Louis (2021)
- New Presidents’/Chancellors’ Academy, American Assoc. for State Colleges and Universities (2015)
- Education Policy Fellowship Program, GA Partnership for Excellence in Education (2013-14)
- Executive Leadership Academy, American Academic Leadership Institute (2011-12)
- Harvard Program for Management and Leadership in Higher Education (2004)
- HERS/Bryn Mawr Program for Women in Higher Education Administration (2003)
- Citizens Police Academy, Carrollton, GA (1997)
- Gang Specialist Certifications, National Gang Crime Research Center (1997, 1998, 2000)
- Mediation Certifications -- general, juvenile justice, divorce and family (1995, 1996, 1999)
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing Certification (1994)
Dr. Stone has experience both inside and outside academia in the fields of health, social services and education as a direct service provider, teacher, researcher, administrator and consultant. She has taught a wide range of courses in sociology and criminology, and her primary research interests are in family violence, juvenile delinquency/juvenile justice, women and crime, public policy, and program evaluation. Current research projects include work with the USF Trafficking in Persons Risk to Resilience Research Lab, community reentry for formerly incarcerated older adults, and teaching social-emotional/problem-solving/conflict resolution skills to elementary school children. Dr. Stone has served on a variety of boards, committees and task forces at the local, state and national levels, and, along with others, has obtained over $10 million dollars in grant funding to support various programs and projects.
In addition to her faculty role, Dr. Stone currently serves as the Assistant Dean for Graduate Studies for the Sarasota-Manatee campus, where she previously served as Chair of the Department of Social Sciences and Regional Chancellor. In addition, she is co-leading the application process for the Carnegie Community Engaged Campus Classification for the Sarasota-Manatee campus. Prior to coming to USF, Dr. Stone held top administrative positions at Dalton State College, Southern Polytechnic State University, the University of West Georgia (also a faculty member), and the Georgia Board of Regents. Further, before her work in higher education, Dr. Stone held a variety of positions at the Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice, Emory University, Research Atlanta, the Atlanta Police Department, the Atlanta Mayor’s Office, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Clayton General Hospital, the Atlanta Battered Women’s Shelter, and the GA Department of Family and Children’s Services.
In the larger community, Dr. Stone currently serves as Regional Liaison for the Suncoast United Way's Women United Affiliation Group, and a member of Drug-Free Manatee’s Board of Directors, the Florida United Way’s Research Advisory Council for the ALICE Project (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed), Manatee County’s Drug-Endangered Children Task Force, the Club Blue Advisory Council for the Boys and Girls Clubs of Manatee County, SRQ Magazine's Women in Business Leadership Initiative, the Bradenton Chapter of the American Association of University Women, and the Manatee County League of Women Voters. She is also currently working with Selah Freedom, an anti-human trafficking organization headquartered in Sarasota.
Selected Awards and Special Recognition:
Dr. Stone has received numerous awards for teaching, research, service and leadership, including:
- Faculty Service Award, College of Behavioral and Community Sciences, USF (2021)
- Honorable Mention Publication Award, American Sociological Society, Sociological Practice and Applied Sociology Section (2020)
- Faculty Excellence Award for Service, University of South FL Sarasota-Manatee (2020)
- SRQ Magazine’s Women in Leadership Award (2016)
- Alumni Achievement Award, University of West Georgia (2014)
- Idahlynn Karre Exemplary Leadership Award, The Chair Academy (2012)
- Contributions in Health and Education, GA Women’s Institute (2008)
- Sociologist of the Year, Georgia Sociological Association (2008)
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers (1999, 2005)
- Meritorious Service, Georgia Sociological Association (1997, 2004)
- Frederick Milton Thrasher Research Award, National Gang Crime Research Center (1997, 2000)
- Graduate School Award for Excellence in Teaching in the Social Sciences, Emory University (1987)
- Civil Rights/Human Rights Award, Amnesty International and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (1987)
Aside from work, Dr. Stone enjoys spending time with family and friends, reading, cooking, attending arts events, taking walks, and practicing yoga.