Early University Programs

Frequently Asked Questions



Why is dual enrollment only offered part-time?

By Florida statute, dual enrollment students are only part-time which means students can take 9-11 credits per semester excluding their first semester where only 6 credits may be taken. 

What is the difference between Dual Enrollment and Early Admission?

Dual Enrollment is an acceleration program that allows students in grades 6-12 who are enrolled in home education, public school, private school, charter school, and includes all students with disabilities. Qualifying students are able to take post-secondary coursework and simultaneously earn credit toward a high school diploma as a Non-degree seeking university student. Early Admission permits high school students to enroll in college courses on a full-time basis during their senior year of high school as a degree seeking university student.   

Can I take dual enrollment classes in the summer semester?

USF does not offer summer classes that can be counted toward dual enrollment at this time.

How old does a student need to be to participate in dual enrollment?

Dual enrollment participation is not dictated by age, but by grade and ability. Any qualified student from 6th - 12th grade are eligible to participate in dual enrollment.

Can home-school students take part in the USF Early University programs?

All homeschool students are welcome to take part in the Dual Enrollment and Early Admission programs. Find more information in our application procedure section. 

Can private school students take part in USF Early University programs?

Private-school students are welcome to take part in the Dual Enrollment and Early Admission programs. The school must complete an articulation agreement first, and then the school counselor/student would follow the application procedure.

What financial obligations are associated with dual enrollment or early admission?

USF follows the Florida Statutes and legislative changes for covering tuition, textbooks, and fees.  Consult your school district, private school, charter school, or homeschool parent administrator for more information. For textbooks, review the Early University Programs website.  

Do I need to reside near USF to take dual enrollment classes?

No, students need to be associated with a school district, private school, charter school, or be homeschool and registered in a school district in Florida.  Courses are offered on USF Campuses, Online, or in some school district high schools. 

Can I apply to an Early University program if my family is in the process of moving to Florida?

Yes, if students are registered with a school district or partner school by the Fall or Spring deadline, they could take part in either early admission (fall only) or dual enrollment (fall and spring). 

Do I need to know what I want to do for my career to take advantage of dual enrollment?

No, while some institutions in the state of Florida offer a career-focused dual enrollment experience, USF offers an academically-focused experience. Dual Enrollment is an excellent opportunity to take a wide variety of elective classes, general education courses, and degree program courses while determing your educational journey.

How do I know if I'm a good candidate for the dual enrollment program?

A good candidate for Dual Enrollment is a student who meets the eligibility requirements and shows college readiness.  Eligibility requirements are found on the Early University Programs.

Why is it important to meet with my high school counselor before I apply?

USF does not have high school advisors/counselors dedicated to dual enrollment. The only program for which students are assigned a counselor is the Early Admission Program when they become a degree seeking student. The high school counselors at a public or private school institution (charter schools or homeschool parent administrator) are the designated counselors of the students who determine dual enrollment eligibility, monitor course selections with approval forms, and student performance. Students should always work through their school counselors / homeschool parent administrator for courses to be approved. The counselors / homeschool parent administrators know best which high school graduation requirements are needed to receive a diploma and which classes are equivalent in dual enrollment to meet that requirement.

Who is responsible for making sure my classes taken in dual enrollment or early admission meet Florida high school graduation requirements?

Students should always work through their school counselors / homeschool parent administrator for courses to be approved. The counselors / homeschool parent administrators know best which high school graduation requirements are needed to receive a diploma and which classes are equivalent in dual enrollment to meet that requirement.

What do counselors need to do to assist a student in applying for the dual enrollment program?

School Counselors / Homeschool Parent Administrators are responsible for verifying all information in the application procedure and submitting the Dual Enrollment Approval Form 2.  Counselors also should work with students to choose appropriate courses from the Schedule Search. Homeschool Parent Administrators must also submit official transcripts/test scores. 

What forms are needed by USF for dual enrollment admission?

In general, students need to submit an online non-degree application and should follow the step on the Website under Application Procedure.  Approval Form 1 should be submitted once per year to update student information, and Approval Form 2 is submitted by the school counselor / Homeschool Parent Administrator twice per year once for Fall courses and once for Spring courses. Transcripts/test scores are only submiteed by Homeschool Parent Administrators. Residency and Immunization requirements are under the application procedure on the Dual Enrollment Webpage.

What is considered an "official" transcript from a Homeschooled Student?

Official transcripts are those that come directly from the institution to USF or from a Homeschool Parent Administrator who can complete the form for homeschooled students.  If a student's high school cannot send the official transcripts electronically, please mail them to: 
University of South Florida
Early University Programs
8350 N. Tamiami Trail
Sarasota, FL 34243

Will USF accept college credit awarded through other accelerated programs such as AICE, IB, or Advanced Placement?

Please read about undergraduate admissions policies for accepting credits through accelerated programs

Does the counselor need to notify the EUP coordinator that a student is taking FLVS or other online or dual enrollment classes?


Are GPA's recalculated when a student is applying for dual enrollment?

Early University Program recognizes the weighted GPA as listed on the official transcript from the school.

Why and how do I need to setup a NetID?

The NetID is a student's user ID at the University. Students, faculty, and staff are are required to set up a NetID. The NetID allows students access to a variety of online services offered at the University.  It is also required so that students can send and recieve offical messages from USF about their course.  This NetID also grants student access to CANVAS which is the online learning platform for all USF courses.  Read More about resources students can access with their NetID. 

How can I submit my Application, Approval Form 1 and Approval Form 2?

All steps for applying to Early Univeristy Programs are provided on the Website. Students must Submit an electronic application, then submit Approval Form 1, and then have their counselor / Homeschool Parent Administrator submit Form 2. Again, all the steps needed for submission are located on the Early University Programs website. 

What are my steps between when I have been admitted and when I start classes?

After students are admitted, they will want to make sure that their residency is correct and immunization history is confirmed. Depending on the situation, students may need to get books from the USF Bookstore before the classes start as well.  See the website for further details under the Application Proceudre  

Do I have to attend Dual Enrollment Orientation?

Orientation is not required, but strongly recommended. All students should log in and gain access to CANVAS before courses start.  They can also see their courses that they are registered for and view resources. Learning to navigate CANVAS before your cousre starts will help students be successful.

CANVAS is an online portal available to all USF students taking any course.  THis includes on USF campus, in a high school, or online. Read more about the USF Canvas learning platform.

How do I navigate CANVAS?

Learn more about navigating Canvas through Orientation and this online tutorial . 

If I am not admitted to dual enrollment when I apply, may I re-apply for a subsequent semester year?

Yes. Students may re-apply if they have new information that would make them eligible.

How will I know if I am admitted to the dual enrollment program?

Students and school counselors / Homeschool Parent Administrators will be notified by email in regard to admission and training. Parents will not be directly notified by USF of a student's admission status if attending a high school, but the high school counselor may reach out to the parent.

How will the counselor / Homeschool Parent Administrator be notified if a student has been admitted to the Dual Enrollment program? When do counselors receive student schedules?

Counselors /Homeschool Parent Administrator can communicate with Early University Program staff to learn a student's admission status. Schools/School Districts and Homeschool Parent Administrators will be provided a first draft of student class enrollment 1-2 weeks before the start of USF classes. After the first week of classes, a final draft of students' schedule will be sent to appropriate School/ School District Administrators/ or Homeschool Parent Administrator.


How do I register for courses?

Students should allow the Early Univeristy Programs Office to register them, at least initially. This is because Early Univeristy Programs can register students earlier than they can register themselves, giving them better opportunities to get into their requested classes. If students are looking to register themselves, they should notify the EUP office before moving forward with that process. 

After I'm admitted to the dual enrollment program, what paperwork needs to be submitted that is specific to enrollment?

When students with their counselors / Homeschool Parent Admininstrators complete the Dual Enrollment Approval forms they list the classes they would like to take that they searched for in the Course Search. EUP will use this information to register students. Approval Form 2 should be submitted each semester one for Fall and one for Spring. 

Is there a maximum number of credit hours allowed for registration? How about over one's total dual enrollment career?

For students who successfully complete six or more dual enrollment credits, they can take up to 11 credits (3 classes). For students with less than six credits, they can only take two classes. Sixty (60) credit hours is the maximum allowed over one's dual enrollment career.

Is there a place where I can see what courses are available (course schedule)?

Yes. Students can view these on the schedule search that will have the modality, CRN, course title, course prefix and number.

Am I able to take part in Florida Virtual School, another dual enrollment program, etc. while in the USF dual enrollment Program?

USF does not limit what additional types of classes students take. However, individual schools and school districts may have additional rules about this.

Can I register for online courses? Can I register for courses on any USF campus?

Yes, students can register for any modality of a course. However, in case students would ever need to go to campus for support, they may want to choose their closest campus.

What classes can a student take? Are there areas of study a student cannot pursue in dual enrollment?

Students may take a wide variety of USF courses. Students are encouraged to check course availability and for prerequisites for any course they want to take.  The FLDOE provdies a list of courses that coorespond to high school creidts.  Counselors and Homeschool Parent Administrators should advise on student selected courses.  

Am I able to take fine arts, performance, or studio arts courses at USF?

It depends on the course. The course would need to be a 3-credit course that is open to non-majors. Generally, students can take theoretical courses, but not performance (w/o departmental consent).

Why can't I register for the course I want?

There could be a variety of reasons why students cannot register for a desired course. However, classes being full or having an outstanding prerequisite are the typical reasons students may not be able to register for a course.

How do I check for holds on my account?

1 LOG INTO THE MYUSF ACCOUNT: Students log into the MyUSF account using their NetID and password. Click the OASIS tab under "My Resources".
2 CLICK THE STUDENT TAB: Once students have clicked the "Student" tab, they should see a link for Registration. Within the Registration Tab, click "Registration Status".
3 REVIEW WHAT IS LISTED: students can check a list of holds on the Office of Undergraduate Studies’ website and should remove remaining holds as early as possible.

What should I do if I need departmental consent to take a course?

Each college/department at USF has a different process for providing departmental consent for certain courses. Email dualenrollment@usf.edu with your rationale for why you think an exception should be made and you will be advised on how best to proceed.

What happens if the course I want has no seats available for registration?

If no seats are available a student cannot register for that particular class. This is why students are asked to give a list of course options up to four, on approval form 2. This list includes backup options that their counselors or homeschool parent administrator submits. EUP will automatically look at all campus offering 100% online options for online course selections. If looking to take a course on a USF campus, students should pay close attention to the courses, times and location that they select.  All course submissions require a 5-digit CRN for all modalities. 


Can I add more course options once the counselor/ homeschool parent administrator submits the approval form 2?

Yes, students can have their counselor submit additional course options, keeping in mind that the students is only allowed 3 courses per semester. Students will have until the USF drop/add deadline to request courses or be moved to an alternate course.  Every change must be approved by the school counselor and submitted on approval form 2.

Do I have to apply for every semester I plan to dual enroll?

Students do not have to apply every semester, however, students must submit approval form 2 each semester.  One for Fall courses and one for Spring courses.


Can I withdraw from a class in which I am not doing well?

Students may withdraw from courses between the second and tenth week of the semester. Withdrawn courses are noted with a “W” grade on the transcript, but does not affect the GPA (after drop/add week - the first week of each semester). Students who withdraw may not continue to attend class and may not attend USF dual enrollment for one semester after withdrawing. If continuing at USF, all undergraduate students will be limited to a total of five course withdrawals while enrolled as a degree-seeking or a non-degree seeking undergraduate student. 

Will the counselor / Homeschool Parent Adminsintrator be informed if a student withdraws from a class?

Students should go through their school counselors / Homeschool Parent Administrator - who should then notify EUP - if they plan to withdraw. EUP will attempt to loop in school counselors if it appears a student has not consulted their counselor.

Can I repeat a course while in the dual enrollment program?

Students who receive a “C-“, “D”, “F”, or “W” in any given course as designated on the USF transcript, will not be eligible for dual enrollment the subsequent, eligible semester. After that, the student could retake the course in the summer mini-semester if offered.

What will my class schedule look like?

Students work with their school counselors to create their schedule. Based on their requests they may have classes online or in-person. In some programs, some classes me be available at the high school campus.

How can I view/print my course schedule?

1 LOG INTO THE MYUSF ACCOUNT: Students log into their MyUSF account using their NetID and password. Click the OASIS tab under "My Resources."
2 CLICK THE STUDENT TAB: Once students have clicked the "Student" tab, students should see a link for their course schedule.

What GPA do I need to maintain to remain in the DE program?

Students must maintain a 2.0 USF GPA to maintain in the program.

How do I know which books are required for my courses? How do I get my books?

"After students are registered, they can go to the bookstore website. The required materials for every USF course are published online by each of the USF campus Follett bookstores at least 45 days before the start of the semester. Students will be charged for any recommended textbooks they select.  Only required textbooks are covered at this time.

Do I have to check my USF email address?

Yes. The USF email is the official email of record for the university. Students setup their USF email at the same time they setup their NetID; 2 to 3 days after submitting the online, non-degree application.

How does my high school receive my grades?

USF will provide a grade report to all schools at the end of each semester, which allows schools to add the dual enrollment class's grade to their HS transcript. If students need an official transcript it can be ordered online via the Registrar's Office.

When and how will counselors receive student grades?

After the final grades being posted, EUP will provide a grade report to the district/school's dual enrollment liaison.

How will students know if they are achieving successfully in their classes?

The syllabus of every course explains how the grade is determined and students receive a midterm average. It is the responsibility of the student to inform counselors and parents if they are struggling in class(es). Students may view and/or print their final grades and transcripts directly from their OASIS account. Many, but not all in progress grades may be tracked through the Canvas system.

What is the First Day Attendance Policy?

USF has a First Day Attendance policy making it mandatory to attend courses on the first day of the semester or first day of class. Failure to attend a course could result in the course being dropped from a student's registration. For more information, check out the online orientation on Canvas.

Am I able to take Judy Genshaft Honors College courses?

Dual enrollment students cannot take honors classes as they are permitted specifically for full-time students in that college. However, eligible early admission students may join the Judy Genshaft Honors College but it is not required.

What are the best practices for contacting the EUP Office?

While EUP is always here to serve our students and schools, we do ask schools to choose 1-2 school administrators to serve as a liaison to USF. This liaison would receive general information and would be the spokesperson for the department/school. EUP staff still may reach out to specific counselors in regard to specific student questions.

May parents contact USF faculty regarding how their child is doing in their class?

Students are the primary stakeholder in their education, and therefore, should be the ones to reach out to faculty. Parents, however, can help coach students on how and what questions to ask. It is highly likely that if a parent reaches out without including the student, the reply will bring the student into the communication.


Can I participate in on-campus activities?

This would depend on the event, organization, etc. There are many USF community events that are open to Early University students, but some may be limited.

Will University faculty and others outside of the EUP program know that I am in high school? Will I receive special treatment because I'm in an Early University program?

For students taking classes online or in-person, there is nothing that designates a dual enrollment or early admission student from any other USF student. They will not receive any special treatment.

How will I be able to meet other dual enrollment students?

The goal of the dual enrollment program is to give students an opportunity to immerse in a college experience. Therefore, outside of message boards in the online orientation, USF does not sponsor other dual enrollment social events.

Can I live in campus housing while in the DE Program?

No. Student housing is not available to dual enrollment students, as they are part-time. However, it is available to early admissions students, if they so choose.

What restrictions will I have as a dual enrollment student on a USF campus?

Students have access to most USF resources such as tutoring, career counseling, Student Accessibility Services, etc. However, some resources may be restricted due to being supported by student life fees.