2020 News Stories
Coronavirus: Resources for Parents and Educators
Below is a series of online resources developed by the USF College of Education to support parents and educators as they navigate the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
For the latest USF community updates and information, please visit the Coronavirus website.
Articles from the College of Education
10 Tips for Success in Online Classes
It’s no secret that a sudden shift to online instruction may leave many students feeling overwhelmed about their academic success. USF Instructional Technology faculty members James Hatten, PhD, and Sanghoon Park, PhD, share tips and strategies to help you successfully navigate the transition to online learning.
Tips for Parents: How to Talk to Your Child About COVID-19
Uncertain times can leave parents feeling uneasy about how to talk to their child about what’s going on in the world, and the COVID-19 pandemic is no exception. USF Counselor Education Instructor Cynthia Topdemir, PhD, shares strategies and resources for parents and educators to use while talking about the coronavirus with their children.
How to meet the social, emotional needs of your child during COVID-19
The sudden life adjustments caused by COVID-19 may cause many of us to feel mentally, physically and emotionally drained—and these feelings have no age limit. USF School Psychology Instructor Kahlila Lawrence, PhD, provides some strategies for how parents can best support their children socially and emotionally while the whole family is at home full-time.
How parents can support their K-12 student in online learning
For many parents, the sudden leap into online learning brought upon by the COVID-19 pandemic may be an additional challenge presented during an already stressful time. USF Instructional Technology Instructor James Hatten, PhD, shares tips for parents who are currently learning how to best support their child’s success in a newly created online classroom.
Additional Resources for Navigating COVID-19
Below are some additional resources from across the USF community.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Frequently Asked Questions (USF)
- Academic Continuity Resources (USF)
- Support the USF United Support Fund (USF Foundation)
- How to Donate to USF's Food Pantries (USF Foundation)
- COVID-19 Cybersecurity Advisory Center (CyberFlorida)
- Florida COVID-19 Hub: GIS Data, Resources and Tools to Track COVID-19 (USF Libraries)
- Video: The Science Behind Proper Handwashing (USF)
- ChooSELovetoThrive - Daily Action Steps for Conquering Adversity (Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement in partnership with USF's School Psychology Program)