Academic Advising

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make an appointment?

Academic Advising is by appointment only. To schedule as appointment, visit this link.

How do I declare Psychology as my major?

You may declare your major online through the College of Arts and Sciences website.

How can I get a permit to register for a Psychology course and how do I know if I need one?

To receive a permit to register, you need to complete the appropriate course permit.

A permit is an electronic approval that indicates to OASIS that a student may register for a course. When the computer cannot recognize a pre-requisite (such as a course from an out-of-state or 2-year institution) on a student's record, he/she cannot register for those courses. The permit will allow the student to register for those courses. You should check your OASIS account to see if a permit has been approved for you.

I have a hold on my registration. What does this mean and how do I get it removed?

The following are typical hold codes you will encounter:

  • AA means that you are required to complete the online Canvas AA tutorial. After you complete the AA tutorial, please email us with your U number. Subject line: AA tutorial complete.

  • AF means that you are a returning student. Please email us with your U number. Subject line: AF hold.

  • AP means that you are on academic probation and are required to complete the online Canvas AP tutorial. Please click here to enroll. After you complete the AP tutorial, please email us with your U number. Subject line: AP tutorial complete.

  • AR means you are missing an academic credential (transcript or AP scores) from USF Admissions. Please contact their office at 813-974-3350.

  • CC means Cash Collections. You owe money to USF. It could be past due tuition, parking fines or library fines. Please contact the Cashier’s Office at 813-974-6056.

  • IM/MH means you have not turned in your immunization forms to Student Health Services. Their phone number is (813) 974-2331. View more information.

  • IT means you have not completed the Academic Integrity module on Canvas. 

What if I need a form signed?

Not all forms require an advisor’s signature. Forms may be obtained online or from the Psychology Department. Many may be obtained on the Registrar’s Office website, listed under Forms.

  • Cross enrollment/Transient Student Forms - If you are taking any non-psychology course at another school this form should be approved by the College of Arts and Sciences office (BEH 201). The cross/transient enrollment from is located on the Florida Shines website.

  • Graduation Application is now online via the OASIS Student tab menu.

  • Grade forgiveness - Students should submit the grade forgiveness form to the Registrar’s Office when the new grade is posted.
  • Time conflict form can be found online.

If I have a quick question, can it be answered over the phone?

No. Please email us your question with your name and U number. If your question is too complicated, you may be asked to schedule an appointment.

What if I need a certain class and it is not appearing on Schedule Search?

There are two reasons that a class would not appear on Schedule Search:

  • The class is closed.
  • The class is not being offered that semester.

What if a class that I need is closed?

If a class that you need is closed, you can periodically check on Schedule Search for an open seat. Someone is always dropping out for various reasons. If that doesn’t work you can always go to that class on the first day and try to get a seat. As first day attendance is mandatory for undergraduates, anyone not attending will automatically be dropped from the class rolls.

How do I do cross-enrollment or transient study, and what's the difference between the two?

Cross-enrollment means that you are simultaneously enrolled in at least 6 hours at USF and any number of hours at another institution. Transient study means you are attending another institution besides USF for an entire semester (you are not enrolled in any courses at USF while at the other institution). The cross/transient enrollment form is located on the Florida Shines website.

How do I apply for graduation?

Graduation Application is now online via the OASIS Student tab menu. Before completing your application, please make sure that all majors/minors are listed. If any information is incorrect, please continue to the end of the application. All information will be revised when your degree is certified at the end of the semester.

I’ve applied for graduation. Now what do I do?

Successfully complete your last semester! Don't forget to register for the commencement through the commencement website. There you will learn where and when the ceremony will be held, how to purchase your cap and gown, etc.

How do I request for Graduation Verification Letter?

Locate the Graduation Verification Letter Request here and follow the instructions provided for your home campus.