March 13, 2020 Notice: Regarding Temporary Academic Advising Service Changes in light of Current Events
Academic Advising support for our continuing students will be provided remotely, in alignment with the university move to online instruction, for at least two weeks after Spring Break (April 5). This is a unique and challenging time for all of us; however, creativity and resilience are underlying strengths of our university community members. The College of Arts & Sciences values these strengths, and knows that our students and advisors will work together to ensure the safety and success of all.
To achieve these goals, some of the ways in which we provide academic advising services will change. Through at least April 6, changes will include:
Academic Advising Appointments and Walk-in Advising
All Academic Advising Appointments and Walk-in Advising for current USF students will be offered virtually through Microsoft Teams (please see instructions below). For the safety of all community members, we will not offer any face-to-face advising appointments.
- Academic Advising appointments can be scheduled online with Archivum Appointment Scheduler (for instructions, please scroll to the end of this page).In advance of the appointment,
you will receive an update to the schedule confirmation with Teams connection information.
There are three ways in which you can use Microsoft Teams for your appointment:
- Teams App on your Smartphone - If you would like to complete the meeting on your smartphone, follow the mobile Teams instructions
- DeskTop - If you would like to meet on your personal computer, follow the desktop Teams instructions
- Phone Call – If meeting by phone is the best option for you, Microsoft Teams will also provide you with a phone number and conference code.
- Walk-in Advising process
- Will provide an online queue. The morning of the walk-in hours a link will be posted where students can sign-up to meet with an advisor. Our staff will create walk-in time slots for students, who will receive confirmation from the Archivum system. In advance of the walk-in time slot, you will receive an update to the schedule confirmation with Teams connection information, just like an advising appointment.
- Will adjust, as needed, to prioritize for students based on the priority registration schedule. For example, walk-in advising hours may be restricted to senior students when they can first register for classes. Details about walk-in hours will be posted as soon as the advising community is aware of the dates, and adjusted as any other changes occur in context to coronavirus challenges.
Advising Services will be reserved for current USF students only at this time.
We respectfully request that all of our prospective students (with the exception of those who applied to enter USF in Summer 2020) hold their questions until the end of April. We promise to help you in learning more about our programs, and hope you understand our commitment to ensuring our current students have as much of our time as possible during this unusual time.
Other Advising Services Info and Best Practices
- Honors College students are encouraged to meet, as usual, with their Honors College Academic Advisors for direct advising services.
- First Year Students with the Academic Advising “AA” hold should continue to complete their AA hold criteria remotely using the Canvas site and email to advisors. Later in April, around your priority registration date, you will have an opportunity to meet with an advisor. In case you recently changed majors and are not currently enrolled in the Canvas site, please use the following links to self-enroll:
- Students who received an Academic Probation “AP” hold should complete their AP hold criteria remotely using the Canvas site and email to advisors. In case you recently changed majors and are not currently enrolled in the Canvas site, please use the following links to self-enroll, use this link.
- “Quick Questions”
- Phone - If our front desks are unable to provide phone support in the coming weeks,
we will post information on how to receive additional front desk support electronically.
- 813-974-3250 for questions regarding Natural Sciences and Mathematics Majors
- 813-974-6957 for questions regarding Humanities and Social Science Majors.
- Emails: We will continue to monitor and respond to student emails as fast as possible.
- Please continue to use the general advising inboxes for advising questions. This allows our advising team to support all CAS Advising areas, especially if one advisor must be out ill for a period of time.
- During peak advising, which begins after Spring Break and continues through priority registration, advising response time increases. Please expect three to five business days for advisor response to your emails.
- Phone - If our front desks are unable to provide phone support in the coming weeks, we will post information on how to receive additional front desk support electronically.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Autumn Mueller, MS
Director of Academic Advising
College of Arts & Sciences
University of South Florida
The College of Arts and Sciences has a team of professional academic advisors for our undergraduate students. Graduate students are advised by faculty in their department and can find information on how to contact your department and Graduate director in the graduate program list.
The undergraduate advisors' list has contact information for each of the advisors. Current USF undergraduate students can schedule an appointment with an advisor by using the Archivum Academic Advising Appointment Scheduler.
If you have trouble with the link above, you can access Archivum via the web, please follow these instructions:
- Open a browser and go to my.usf.edu
- You may get prompted to authenticate through NetID.
- On the top navigation for MyUSF, hover over "Business Systems".
- The menu will expand and then click on "Archivum".
- Select "Student Portal" go to the "Schedule an Appointment".
Interested prospective students, Non-USF students who do not have a USF ID number, or former USF students who are interested in returning to USF can schedule appointments here NonStudent eScheduler. [Please note: prospective student appointments will not be available in March, and will be offered again in late April.]