Dance Audition Information
USF Dance Program Auditions:
In-Person Auditions Dates for 2024-2025 School Year
Friday, October 27, 2023 - Registration Closes Oct 25
Friday, November 17, 2023 - Registration Closes Nov 15
Friday, January 19, 2024 - Registration Closes Jan 17
Friday, February 23, 2024 - Registration Closes Feb 21
Video Audition Information
To present a video audition, please submit through "Acceptd" using the USF video audition guidelines. - Opens Sept 5 - Closes April 1
DANCE AUDITION INFORMATION
USF Dance Program Auditions:
This placement audition is part of a process to help students learn about our programs and the choices we offer in studying dance as a focus of the college experience. We want to learn about your abilities as a dancer in order to provide the best starting place within our program and to help guarantee your continuing success in dance. We encourage you to take this opportunity to discover the potential of your professional career beginning at USF.
This audition is designed for students who intend to major in dance at the University of South Florida. To declare the dance major at USF, the prospective student must place into at least level I in both ballet and modern dance techniques. The dance minor is open access and does not require an audition. Minors may attend the audition for placement in Upper-Level technique courses
If you are currently taking technique courses at USF, contact The Dance Department for more information, email@example.com
- You can audition, even if you have not yet submitted your application to USF. We strongly recommend that you apply for USF Admissions as soon as possible to be considered for departmental support. Make sure you select Dance as your major when applying to USF.
- Prospective dance majors will be required to audition in both ballet and modern dance techniques in classes taught by USF Dance faculty. A solo of 90 seconds or less is also required of all prospective dance majors. The solo may be student choreography or part of a work choreographed by someone else. Transfer students are encouraged to choreograph their own solos so the dance faculty can assess their choreographic skills. Due to the volume of students auditioning, only prospective majors are to show a solo. Prospective minors seeking placement do not need to perform a solo.
- Students should be prepared with appropriate dancewear and footwear for both ballet (black leotard, skin colored tights, and ballet slippers) and modern dance (you may add tight-fitting dancewear on top of your tights and leotard, bare feet). Note: Pointe work is not required as part of the audition process but may be shown during the solo.
- In order to assess both technical ability and learning styles, each 1-hour audition class will be structured as a condensed version of our typical major-level classes, which are scheduled for one hour and 50 minutes during the academic year. (All dance majors are required to take both ballet and modern dance throughout their program of study at USF.)
- USF dance technique classes are sequential over the academic year. Students who enter during the spring semester (January) will be recommended for placement according to the ongoing level of progress within the course.
- To attend an audition on campus, please complete the Dance Placement Audition Registration Form. Audition dates will be removed once we have reached our capacity. Please consider another audition date or look at our video audition submission option.
Prospective students who have secured an audition slot will receive a confirmation email from the department. You are NOT registered for and cannot attend the audition unless you receive an email from the USF Dance Department confirming your audition. Please have the confirmation email available for reference.If you have questions about this form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
USF Audition Schedule - on campus auditions
8:00 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. - Registration in FAD Lobby
8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. - Welcome Meeting with Faculty
9:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. - Warm Up
10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. - Technique #1
11: 15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. - Technique #2
12:15 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. - In Studio Showings by Dance Majors
12:45 p.m. - 1:45 p.m. - Lunch Break
2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Solos (Students may leave after their Solo)
Directions to USF and the Dance Department can be found on the Contact Us page.
For more information on auditions, please email the Dance Office – email@example.com