An environmentally-well person has gratitude for the space they share with others. On a large scale, they appreciate earth and nature. They also take care of daily surroundings in which they live, work, and play by keeping the space safe and healthy.
The Environmental Wellness Toolkit provided by the National Institutes of Health contains checklists, quick-topic flip cards, and resources for further exploration.
Sustainability at USF
Tampa Campus Facilities Management Learn about the different sustainability Iniatives that Facilities Management has with various partners around campus.
Did you know? The LEED-certified Patel Center for Global Sustainability is USF’s first fully-constructed sustainable building. Here are a few fun facts about the building:
- The toilets flush with recycled AC condensation and rainwater.
- The plants surrounding the building are drought-tolerant and native to Florida.
- Building materials came from within 500 miles of Tampa to cut down on transportation impacts.
- Doors are made from bamboo (Bamboo grows back quickly)
- Foundation and floors are made from recycled steel and concrete.
- Countertops are made of recycled steel shavings, glass and resin.
- Lights turn on/off automatically when occupants enter/leave rooms.
- The building is on an east-west axis to make the best use of natural light.
- The windows are glazed to keep heat out while letting sunlight in.
- Solar panels on the roof heat the building’s water.
- Read more in the original article by Vickie Chachere (2010) here.
St. Petersburg Campus Sustainability Initiatives "As one of the university’s five core values, care for our natural environment and
sustainability is a large part of the culture and identity of USF St. Petersburg."
Enjoy Nature - Campus and Local Spots
The Botanical Gardens (Tampa Campus) is a 16-acre expanse, containing more than 3,000 plants (some extremely rare), animals and natural habitats.
USF Riverfront Park is situated along the Hillsborough River on Fletcher Avenue close to the Tampa campus. USF employees get special rates on kayak, canoe and paddleboard rentals.
Lettuce Lake Park is situated along the Hillsborough River on Fletcher Avenue close to the Tampa campus. This popular conservation park features a hardwood swamp forest, a paved exercise trail, boardwalk along the river, observation tower, picnic and playground areas.
St. Pete Adventure Trips through USF Campus Rec on the St. Petersburg Campus. "The Outdoor Adventure Trip Program provides an opportunity to experience the outdoors through various adventures." Current USF student, faculty or staff can sign in using a NetID and password. Learn more here.
The Sarasota-Manatee campus is a short drive from Siesta Key, the nation’s No. 1 beach.