Advisory Task Force
Appointed by President Steven C. Currall, the Task Force will help craft a strategic plan for the university that will be submitted to the Board of Trustees for consideration in June 2021, and subsequently to the Board of Governors. Task Force members include:
- Charles Stanish, Task Force Chair; Professor of Anthropology, College of Arts and Sciences; Executive Director, Institute for the Advanced Study of Culture and the Environment
- Sylvia Wilson Thomas, Task Force Vice Chair; Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering, College of Engineering
- Golfo Alexopoulos, Professor of Interdisciplinary Global Studies, College of Arts and Sciences; Founding Director, Institute on Russia
- Mya Breitbart, Professor of Biological Oceanography, College of Marine Science
- Michael Cross, Instructor, Judy Genshaft Honors College
- Bárbara Cruz, Professor of Social Science Education, College of Education
- Michael Foley, Professor of Dance, College of the Arts
- Robert Frisina, Distinguished University Professor and Department Chair of Medical Engineering, College of Engineering and Morsani College of Medicine; Director, Global Center for Hearing & Speech Research
- Ramon Gonzalez, Professor and Florida 21st Century World Class Scholar of Chemical, Biological, and Materials Engineering, College of Engineering
- Clifton Gooch, Professor and Department Chair of Neurology, Morsani College of Medicine; Tampa General Hospital Endowed Chair, Department of Neurology; Vice President, Clinical and Translational Research, Tampa General Hospital
- Elizabeth Hordge-Freeman, Associate Professor of Sociology, College of Arts and Sciences, Senior Advisor to the President and Provost for Diversity and Inclusion
- Matthew Knight, Associate Librarian; Affiliate Faculty of History, College of Arts and Sciences
- Claire Mitchell, USF Student Body President; Member, USF Board of Trustees
- Sunil Mithas, Professor and World Class Scholar of Information Systems and Management, Muma College of Business
- Zacharias Pieri, Assistant Professor of International Relations and Security Studies, College of Arts and Sciences
- Angela Sklenka, Vice President of Human Resources
- Gregory Teague, Associate Professor and Department Chair of Mental Health Law and Policy, College of Behavioral and Community Sciences
- Thomas Unnasch, Distinguished USF Health Professor and Department Chair of Global Health, College of Public Health
- Edelyn Verona, Professor of Psychology, College of Arts and Sciences
The Task Force was asked to focus its work on:
- Soliciting feedback from faculty, staff, and students regarding the content of the
strategic plan for the university. Mandatory consultations will include, for example,
engaging with deans, regional chancellors and vice presidents, shared governance
organizations (e.g., Faculty Senate, Staff Senate, Administrative Advisory Council, Student
Government), Presidential Advisory Councils, all three campuses (including, for example,
campus faculty councils and campus advisory boards for St. Petersburg and SarasotaManatee), Tampa Bay regional stakeholders (e.g., corporations, governmental officials, K-12 administrators, economic development organizations), alumni and donors, and USF-affiliated unions.
- Developing formal vision and strategy statements, ensuring that the university maintains a flexible and agile posture.
- Articulating a list of the university’s core commitments and/or values.
- Assessing One USF’s existing strengths and current gaps relative to our aspirations.
- Describing the university’s opportunities, sources of differentiation and sustainable
advantage, and contemporary societal dynamics that might shape USF’s success in the
context of the competitive landscape of higher education.
- Articulating an optimal strategy for the entire institution, not for individual colleges,