Creative Writing MFA
Application deadline: January 1. Students accepted into the program will begin coursework in fall. No applications will be considered for spring or summer admission. To be considered for admission, the following requirements must be met:
- An undergraduate degree, preferably in English, from an accredited college, with a 3.2 GPA average, or its equivalent.
- The GRE is not required for admission, though submitting a GRE score may help to qualify you for university-wide scholarships.
- Three letters of recommendation, preferably from former English instructors, assessing the student's potential to do graduate level work.
- A writing sample consisting of 12-20 pages:
- Prose should be double spaced. Indicate genre (fiction, memoir).
- Poetry should be single spaced.
- A sample that includes both prose and poetry is permitted if the student plans to specialize in more than one genre.
- Hybrid, graphic, text/image works and comics are invited (format is left up to the author).
- A two-to-three page statement, describing the student's background, purpose for attending graduate school, and career goals.
- A completed application form submitted to the Graduate Admissions Office.
All application materials should be submitted electronically through the online application.
If you would like to be considered for a Graduate Assistantship, please briefly indicate your interest in your personal statement.
All materials, including transcripts and optional GRE scores, must be received by the application deadline in order for students to be considered for admission. Graduates of USF do not need to order official transcripts. Applications are reviewed by an admissions committee after the application deadline. Students will be notified of the application decision within eight weeks after the deadline.