The Department of English offers internships for Tampa-based, degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students. The internships consist of supervised work-and-learning experience under the direction of a university faculty member and an employee of a participating sponsor organization. Local Tampa Bay businesses and organizations sponsoring students direct and counsel the intern in an on-the-job context for 10-12 hours each week for each 15-week semester.
The internship is an option for all students in the Literary Studies, Creative Writing, and Professional Writing, Rhetoric, and Technology concentrations. Internships may be available to qualified non-majors with program and department approval.
Eligible students will enroll in a 3-credit hour course:
- ENC 4940 internship (undergraduate)
- ENG 6926 Internship (graduate)
- Readings and research related to the current job market and discussions concerning workplace issues
- Meetings with the faculty advisor of your internship course (usually 3 times during the term)
- Submitting status reports throughout the term
- Completing either a professional portfolio or for PWRT students add materials to your existing professional portfolio
- Being evaluated twice by your immediate internship supervisor (at mid-term and end of term)