STEM Laboratory Teaching Assistants
Hello! from the STEM Lab TA Workshop
The STEM Laboratory TA Workshops provide professional development designed to recognize and take advantage of the TA's close interaction with, and influence on undergraduate students. By providing thoughtfully designed and consistently implemented professional development for TAs they are better prepared to serve as teachers and role models helping to engage students, enhance their learning and maintain their interest in science.
In the STEM lab TA training program, TAs receive content-specific training, including strategies for facilitating inquiry-based labs, discussions, and group work, as well as classroom management, grading, and presentation skills. To better support and meet the needs of their students, TAs also receive training on inclusive teaching practices for the diverse classroom.
The initial 3-day workshop, prior to fall semester each year, is for all new TAs in Chemistry; Cell, Micro, Molecular Biology (CMMB); Integrative Biology; and Physics. The morning sessions are facilitated by seasoned faculty providing TAs with classroom interactions, followed by afternoons becoming acclimated to the lab environment guided by their lab coordinators. Content of the follow up sessions is informed from TA feedback to address areas they want to explore further and are offered once each semester.
The summer workshops for 2020 and 2021 involved Canvas modules as pre-work for a 2 day virtual training using MS Teams.
Facilitated by: Dr. Robert Potter, Professor of Chemistry, Sr. Associate Dean, College of Arts and
Sciences and Dr. Ruthmae Sears, Associate Professor, College of Education.
Lab Coordinators: Dr. Laura Anderson and Dr. Chris Tang, Chemistry; Colbi Gemmell, CMMB; Mary Mangiapia, Integrative Biology; Dr. Gerald Woods, Physics.
STEM Lab TA Trainings
- August 2021 Workshop: Handouts
Day 1 Slides | Day 2 Slides
- Fall Follow up: Oct. 29, 2:00 - 5:00 pm Handouts | Slides
- Spring 2022 Workshop - Mar. 25, 12:30-3:30 pm Handouts | Slides
- August 2020 Workshop: Handouts | Slides
- Fall 2020 Follow up: Handouts | Slides
- Spring 2021 Follow up: Handouts | Slides
- Spring 2020 Follow up: February 14 Handouts | Slides
- Fall 2019 Follow up: October 11 Handouts | Slides
- August 2019 STEM Lab TA Workshop: August, 20-22
- August 2018 STEM Lab TA Workshop: August, 14-16
- Fall 2018 Follow up: October 19
- Spring 2019 Follow up: March 8
- August 2017 Lab TA Training: August, 14-17
- Fall 2017 Lab TA Follow-Up Workshop
Teaching STEM at USF Handbook
Here is an electronic copy of this handy resource used at the trainings:
- The Science of Learning
- Framing & Solving Problems w/Greater Expertise
- Effective Presentations
- Evidenced-based Teaching - Examples
- Questioning Strategies
- Tips for Facilitating Group Work
- Classroom Management in Science Courses
- Assessment and Grading
- Professional Development
- Emergency Situations and Lab Safety
2020 NSEC National Conference presentation
Using Professional Development to Support Equitable Learning Opportunities in STEM Lab Settings - June 2020
This material is based on work supported in part by the National Science Foundation under Grant #DUE 1525574. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.