How To ApplyApplication to the program can be made for admission in fall, spring or summer semesters. The Ph.D. in Behavioral & Community Sciences is a new program and the first class was admitted Fall, 2017 semester.
Applicants who wish to be considered for graduate assistantship funding and other university scholarships should apply for admission in the Fall semester. Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications early in order ensure full consideration for scholarships and other funding opportunities that may have deadlines earlier than the final application deadline.
The priority deadlines for submission of applications from domestic students are:
- Fall admission: December 15th
The priority deadlines for submission of applications from international students are:
- Fall admission: December 15th
For full consideration, applications and all supporting materials must be received by the stated deadline. Applications received after the deadline may also be considered but only if the application is exceptionally strong and space is still available after considering all applicants who applied by the deadline.
Interested individuals must apply directly to the University of South Florida Graduate School Admissions Office using the FACTS Online Graduate Application.
Applicants must include the following items as part of their online application:
- Writing Sample 1: Applicants must submit a writing sample, such as a major paper, thesis, or research
paper for which you are the sole author.
- Writing Sample 2: Applicants must submit a personal goal statement of 2 – 3 pages that describes why
you want to obtain the Ph.D. in Behavioral & Community Sciences. The personal goal
statement should include the following:
- Explain why you want to pursue a research career in Behavioral & Community Sciences and describe your area of interest(s).
- Tell us why you want to attend USF to obtain your graduate degree. Show that you are familiar with our program (professors and research areas in which you are interested, features of the program that appeal to you, etc.) and why you think the program will be a good fit for you.
- Describe your strengths, achievements, and special skills.
- Address any areas that may appear to be a weakness on your application or transcript. Provide a context to help the Admission Committee understand the situation as appropriate.
- Describe your career goal(s) and explain how a Ph.D. in BCS will help you reach those
- Two letters of recommendation: Letters should be written by faculty members or other professional personnel who
have knowledge of your academic background, potential for success in graduate school,
and commitment to a research career. Letters of recommendation are requested through
the online application. The potential recommenders will receive an email asking them
to upload a letter to the USF application system. You may track who has completed
your letter of recommendation by logging into the USF online application system.
- An unofficial copy of your transcript: Although an official copy of your transcript is required, the application process
will be expedited if you upload an unofficial transcript at the time you submit your
- An unofficial copy of your GRE scores: Although an official copy of your GRE scores are required, the application process
will be expedited if you upload an unofficial copy at the time you submit your application.
- Resume (optional): Applicants may submit a personal resume that summarizes your academic/work history and accomplishments.
In addition to the online application, the applicant must submit:
1. Official transcripts for all coursework completed to date.
2. Official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service (Institution code: 5828).
Important: Please mail official copies of your transcript to directly to the USF Office of Graduate Admissions. Note that the USF Admissions Office cannot receive electronic transcripts. The official paper copies of transcripts and official GRE scores must be submitted to:
University of South Florida
Office of Admissions
4202 E Fowler Avenue
Tampa, FL 33620