The Louis de la Parte Florida Mental Health Institute recently welcomed its 2023 Summer Research Institute (SRI@FMHI) cohort.
The SRI@FMHI is designed for students interested in building their research skills within the context of substance use and co-occurring disorders to help them prepare for a senior thesis and/or graduate school. The SRI@FMHI consists of four components: an independent research project conducted with guidance from a USF College of Behavioral and Community Sciences faculty mentor; research seminars; professional development seminars; and skill-building workshops.
Throughout the 11-week period, students will work intensively with faculty mentors on their research projects. In addition, students will gain experience with research ethics, Institutional Review Boards practices, and will participate in a community rotation to gain experience with mental health and substance use services. Students will present their project during Research Day, which will be held Wednesday, Aug. 2 from noon – 3 p.m.
The 2023 cohort includes:
- Enyonam Akwayena, University of Pittsburgh (Mentor: Jessica Rice, PhD)
- Catherine Cardenas, University of Florida (Mentor: Jerome Galea, PhD, LCSW)
- Sydney Chadwick, Clemson University (Mentor: George Burruss, PhD)
- Britney Chen, University of Central Florida (Mentor: Ji-Young Lee, PhD)
- Riley Curie, University of Florida (Mentors: Kim Menendez, MS, CPP and Kathleen Moore, PhD)
- Isabella Kneeland, Saint Norbet College (Mentor: Judith Biesen, PhD)
- Carson Koffler, Tulane University (Mentor: Kristin Kosyluk, PhD)
- Stacey Li, Tulane University (Mentor: Margaret McGladrey, PhD)
- Leilani Monterde, University of South Florida (Mentor: Svetlana Yampolskaya, PhD)
- Zena Rodill, University of South Florida (Mentor: Tom Massey, PhD)
- Daniela Villamar, University of Central Florida (Mentor: Chae Jaynes, PhD)
- Michael Weiner: University of South Florida (Mentor: Khary Rigg, PhD)