Whether you have your own coverage or are listed on your parent's or spouse's plan,
SHWC accepts many health insurance plans for medical services and you won't have to pay a co-pay for general medical office visits.
International Students who need insurance as a condition of enrollment, CLICK HERE
How to use insurance at SHWC clinics:
- Check here to make sure we accept your plan.
- Contact your insurance company to understand what services are covered.
- If you have an HMO plan, tell your insurance company you want one of our medical doctors (MDs) to be listed as your primary care physician (PCP).
- Call 813-974-2331 to make an appointment.
- Bring your insurance card (or a copy of both sides) with you to your appointment.
SHWC will automatically bill your insurance company for covered services. You are responsible for paying any non-covered costs.
If you provide SHWC with insurance information but do not want your insurance billed for a specific service, be sure to let the SHWC staff know you want to self-pay when you check out.
USF does not sponsor a voluntary health insurance plan for the general student body. However, every Fall, Student Health partners with the USF Health Care Navigators to offer enrollment assistance in the Federal Marketplace.
International Students holding F or J visas cannot use Federal Marketplace plans for Insurance Compliance as they do not meet all regulations. For international student policies that meet USF regulations visit International Student Insurance Compliance Page.
- Always carry your insurance card.
- Know what is covered and not covered under your policy.
- Be aware of restrictions or limitations in your health insurance plan.
- Check the SHWC Fee Schedule before your appointment to know what uncovered services cost.
Review your medical policy for benefits and exclusions.
Common health insurance terms are provided here to assist. Click here
Read insurance company communications and medical statements in a timely manner.
- Create logins through a company secure portal
- Respond promptly to emails and postal mail
- Review Explanations of Benefits (EOB). Sample EOB provided here Click here
- Patient balance should correspond to financial statements from your medical doctor
OFFICE HOURS MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY FROM 8AM TO 5PM
PHONE LINES AVAILABLE FROM 10AM TO 4:30PM
Learn about our St. Petersburg and Sarasota-Manatee campus.