Classification & Compensation

Establishing or Changing a Salary

There are a variety of processes for changing rates of pay at the university. Please review the summary below to help you locate the appropriate information for a particular type of change.

Centrally Administered Pay Increase Programs

Centrally Administered Pay Increase Programs are applied university wide based on a set of published guidelines. They usually apply to most positioned employees based on specific eligibility criteria and funding is typically mandatory for all sources.

Pay Changes for Admin & Staff Employees

Individual increases can be initiated under appropriate circumstances outside of a university wide process.

Pay Changes for Faculty Employees

Faculty Pay Changes are collectively bargained. Changes to faculty pay can only be made under certain circumstances as outlined in the Provost Office policy guidelines.

Pay Changes for Temporary Employees (Non-Student & Regular Student)

  • Increase in Pay - merit, cost of living, annual, additional higher level duties, increase in FTE, etc.
  • Decrease in Pay - decrease in FTE 
  • Correction in Pay - pay was wrong on previously-submitted appointment 

Pay Changes for Graduate Assistants

Graduate Assistants are covered by collective bargaining. Please contact the Graduate School for information related to the administration of the contract. WHEN A PAY CHANGE IS MADE, GRADUATE STUDENTS MUST SIGN THE APPOINTMENT STATUS FORM ACKNOWLEDGING A CHANGE TO AN APPOINTMENT.

Pay Changes for Federal Work Study (FWS)

Federal Work Study (FWS) students receiving multiple pay changes and increases over $3.00 per hour will be reviewed and may be subject to further approval. The increase must be covered by the available student award.

One-Time LUMP SUM Payments

One-Time Lump Sum Payments may be awarded in a variety of situations noted below. Also, each VP Area of the university has the flexibility to define and administer special one-time pay for performance programs with in their units, as funding allows. Individual one-time wage payments are processed separately through payroll and do not affect base pay.

  • Pay for performance
  • Recruitment
  • Retention
  • Negotiated through collective bargaining agreements
  • Legislatively-mandated
  • USF Administered

Staff and Administration employees may receive pay rate changes or one-time payments for a variety of reasons. Factors which should be considered by managers in setting pay rates or requesting special pay increases are covered in Determining Appropriate Salary Levels. Click on the links below for detailed information concerning each topic on this page.



Effective July 1, 2011, the Higher Education Act (HEA) is prohibiting any merit increase, commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based in any part, directly or indirectly, upon success in securing enrollments or the award of financial aid, to any person or entity who is engaged in any student recruitment or admission activity, or in making decisions regarding the awarding of Title IV, HEA program funds. As a result, employees cannot be rewarded for enrollment, admissions or financial aid goals, or program completion, retention or graduation rates. If you have any questions regarding this regulation, please contact your HR Service Center Manager.