The Department of English offers internships for Tampa-based, degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate students. The internships consist of supervised work-and-learning experience under the direction of a university faculty member and an employee of a participating sponsor organization. Local Tampa Bay businesses and organizations sponsoring students direct and counsel the intern in an on-the-job context.
The internship is an option for all students in the English and professional and technical communication majors. Internships may be available to qualified non-majors with program and department approval.
What to expect:
- Enrollment in the internship course:
- ENC 4940 (undergraduate)
- ENG 6926 (graduate)
- Readings and research related to the current job market and discussions concerning workplace issues
- Meetings with the faculty advisor of your internship course (usually 3 times during the term)
- Submitting status reports throughout the term
- Completing either a professional portfolio or for PTC students add materials to your existing professional portfolio
- Being evaluated twice by your immediate internship supervisor (at mid-term and end-of-term)