Online Professional Development Resources
The resources below can help you advance your graduate career and aid you in your professional and personal development.
General Writing Resources
- Writing Studio, University of South Florida - Graduate students can request a consultation or review their online guides
- Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL) - Writing resources and instructional materials, including general writing mechanics, english as a second language, citation formats, and more.
- Strunk and White, "The Elements of Style" - Popular English grammar and style guide.
Poster Design and Presentations
- How to Design an Award-Winning Conference Poster - Animate your Science Blog
- Designing Conference Posters - Colin Purrington
- Creating an Effect Poster Presentation - University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
- Creating Effective Poster Presentations - North Carolina State University
- Better Scientific Poster YouTube Talk and Templates - Mike Morrison, Industrial-organizational psychologist at Michigan State University
- The Message Box Workbook: Communicating your Science Effectively - COMPASS Science Communication, Inc. (2017)
- Tell them a Story: How to Avoid the Standard Boring Presentation - Animate your Science Blog
- Effective Conference Presentations, Texas A&M University Writing Center - In this video, Dr. Tasha Dubriwny provides tips for developing and delivering creative and effective conference presentations.
- Speaking Up Without Freaking Out, Matt Abrahams TEDxPaloAlto Talk - Practical solutions to handle communication anxiety and tools to empower us to share our ideas and stories.
- How to open and close presentations, Mark Powell - Learn how to hook your audience with these tips for opening and closing presentations.
Scientific Communication, Writing & Publication
- Scientific Writing Resource, Duke University - Online course that teaches scientists effective writing strategies, complete with examples and worksheets.
- Designing Effective Scientific Presentations, iBiology - Dr. Susan McConnell gives helpful advice on preparing and presenting an effective scientific talk, provides basics of PowerPoint, and suggests ways to structure your talk.
- Nature Masterclasses, "Focus on Peer Review" - A FREE online course on peer review, containing 4 modules with bite-size videos and interactive activities. It offers a comprehensive overview of peer review, including: the role of a peer reviewer, how to prepare a peer review report, the ethics of peer review, and innovations in different types of peer review. Free to access when you register with Nature Masterclasses website.