Fraternity and Sorority Life

NPHC Plaza

History and Significance
Built on a promise, the expression "forty acres and a mule" referenced land that was to be divided into 40-acre plots shortly after the Civil War and provided to freed slaves as reparations for slavery. It was agreed that each family would receive forty acres and would be supplied army mules to work their land; however, the federal government failed to follow through with this order.

In 1865, African Americans believed that ownership was the best way to secure the feeling and recognition of freedom and
opportunity. The National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) use plots today as a symbolic representation of their belonging to college and university campuses across the nation.

Through the unified efforts of the USF NPHC, Student Government, administration, and the student body, we have broken ground on the USF National Pan-Hellenic Council Plaza.

USF will be the first non-historically black colleges and universities (HBCU) state institution in Florida to provide physical representation for this underrepresented population (such recognition already exists on Florida's historically black college and university (HBCU) campuses), which speaks directly to the significance of supporting the African American student community who attend our institution. There is a deep historical significance to this development that celebrates and honors the achievements of the NPHC members along with their contributions to college/university campuses and surrounding communities both locally and nationally.


RIBBON CUTTING EVENT!

Plaza Ribbon Cutting


Funding for the NPHC Plaza was provided by: