Benefits Request Overview
Frequently Asked Questions
1. *Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill students ONLY* I was certified for the Fall semester, but I called the VA and they said they have not received tuition and fee amounts yet from OVS. Why were my classes reported by OVS, but not my tuition and fees?
Since USF does not release tuition and fee amounts until a few weeks prior to the beginning of the Fall semester, OVS only reports credit hour amounts with $0 tuition and fees to the VA so that students are able to begin receiving housing and book stipends on time. Once USF releases Fall tuition and fees, OVS then goes back to students’ Fall certifications and adds in tuition and fee amounts so they can be paid to USF.
2. How long can it take for payments to be processed to either myself, USF, or both?
Starting on the date you complete step 5 of your Clockwork application, our office has UP TO 30 DAYS to certify your classes and the VA generally takes APPROXIMATELY 6-8 WEEKS to pay out (once tuition and fees have been reported)
3. What if I add/ drop classes AFTER I am certified by the Office of Veteran Success?
Complete a Change in Benefits Request application that can be found on the top left of your original Clockworks application. If you have not yet been certified by OVS, you do not need to complete a Change in Benefits Request.
4. What if the Post 9/11 GI Bill doesn’t pay my tuition before the Friday of Add/Drop Week?
If you submit your Clockworks application before 5 p.m. on the first Friday of the semester (Fall 2020: Friday, August 28th, 2020), the Office of Veteran Success will place a 90 DAY TUITION DEFERMENT onto your account to ensure you don’t accrue late fees or get dropped from classes during that time.
5. *Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill students ONLY* What if ALL of my classes are online throughout the entire semester?
You will receive a set stipend equivalent to half the national average every month (~$894 for every FULL month you are enrolled in classes at the FULL TIME rate).