Benefits Request Overview
Frequently Asked Questions
***SPRING 2022 UPDATES***
*Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill students ONLY* Please note the TWO updates below for Spring semesters:
1. The stipulations in the Student Veteran Coronavirus Response Act of 2020 have been EXTENDED TO JUNE 1, 2022
This means that students using Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits for the Spring 2022 semester will have all of their classes certified as "in-person", regardless if they are now being offered as hybrid, primarily distanced learning, or all on-line UNLESS they are enrolled in an ALL-ONLINE graduate certificate or doctoral program
2. All Post 9/11 GI Bill students are now required to verify their enrollment status with the VA Education Department (1-888-442-4551) EACH MONTH during the term in order to continue receiving their monthly housing allowance
Students can call the VA Education Department NOW to set up text alerts to begin in Spring 2022 (ensure to SPEAK to a representative, DO NOT use the touch tone option)
Who should I call if I have questions about my education benefit eligibility, remaining entitlement, or payments (AFTER I have been certified by OVS)?
- The VA Education Department at 1-888-442-4551
*Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill students ONLY* What if the Post 9/11 GI Bill doesn’t pay my tuition before the end of Add/Drop Week? How will I be able to receive my financial aid on time?
- If you submit your Clockwork application BEFORE 5:00 p.m. on the first Friday of the semester, the Office of Veteran Success will place a 90 day veteran tuition deferment onto your account to ensure you don’t accrue late fees or get dropped from classes during that time.
- All Post 9/11 GI Bill students who (1) complete a Clockwork application and (2) submit their COE to OVS prior to the first Friday of the each semester will have:
1. a 90 day veteran tuition deferment placed onto their account
2. their financial aid and grants released to them during the second week of classes even if the GI Bill has not paid USF tuition yet
How long can it take for payments to be processed to either myself, USF, or both?
- Starting on the date you complete step 5 of your Clockwork application, our office has UP TO 30 DAYS to certify your classes and the VA generally takes APPROXIMATELY 6-8 WEEKS to begin issuing payments to either you, USF, or both
My VA education benefits expire in the middle of the semester. Am I eligible to receive benefits for the remainder of the semester?
- Veterans: Veteran students who enter a semester with at least ONE day of entitlement remaining MAY be eligible to have their full tuition, books, and housing stipend paid for the ENTIRE semester. If a veteran has used education benefits PRIOR TO their GI Bill, there is a chance they have utilized the maximum 48 months of total entitlement and would NOT be eligible to have their entire last semester paid for in that case. ***Contact the VA Education Department for verification***
- Veteran dependents: Veteran dependent students are ONLY eligible to receive educational benefit payments up until the final day of their entitlement. If this day falls in the middle of a semester, the student is responsible to pay the remainder of their tuition and fees.
What if I make changes to my schedule AFTER I am certified by the Office of Veteran Success?
- Complete a Change in Benefits Request application with OVS (this application can be found on the top left hand corner of the Clockworks application in the semester you are changing). If you have NOT yet been certified by OVS, you do NOT need to complete a Change in Benefits Request.
*Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill students in Fall semesters ONLY* I was certified for this past Fall semester, but I called the VA and they said they have not received tuition and fee amounts yet from OVS. Why were my classes reported by OVS, but not my tuition and fees?
- Since USF does not release tuition and fee amounts until a few weeks prior to the beginning of the Fall semester, OVS only reports credit hour amounts with $0 tuition and fees to the VA so that students are able to begin receiving housing and book stipends on time. Once USF releases Fall tuition and fees, OVS then goes back to students’ Fall certifications and adds in tuition and fee amounts so they can be paid to USF.