SALUTE Veteran Honor Society
"The University of South Florida Chapter of SALUTE, a National Honor Society for veteran college students, would like to recognize your outstanding scholastic achievements by inviting you to become a member of SALUTE! As the current chair of the USF Chapter, it is my pleasure to extend to you this membership invitation. I speak for the entire chapter, and society, when I say that we hope you will accept this invitation." - Carlos J. Moreira
Membership in SALUTE signifies your service, academic excellence and a commitment to high principles and superior achievement throughout your lifetime. Your SALUTE designation will set you apart from the crowd.
Service, Academics, Leadership, Unity, Tribute, and Excellence are the foundation blocks of our honor society and the foundation of your success:
Service: an act of helpful activity or selflessness; help; aid: The service member who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect their country and do good service for their sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom.
Academics: a scholar or teacher in an institute of higher education, in the environment concerned with the pursuit of research, education, and scholarship: True scholars humbly realize that learning is a continuing process and are keenly aware of the level of dedication to their academics it will take to reach their goals of success. You'll be dedicated and that's what you should want to be in anything in life - whether it's sports or academics or your relationship. It all stems from finding that fun, that thrill, that excitement of the pursuit of knowledge.
Leadership: is the activity of influencing people to cooperate in achieving some common goal or objective: It is the quality which urges people to pull together as one, yet allows them to contribute while retaining their uniqueness as individuals.
Unity: the state of being one; oneness; a thing forming a complex whole: Being connected together for the good of the Country and community.
Tribute: acknowledgment of the valuable consideration paid by one to another, in the price of peace, security, protection.
Excellence: the state of excelling If you are going to achieve excellence in big things, you develop the habit in little matters. Excellence is not an exception, it is a prevailing attitude.
- Must have completed at least 12 credit hours with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Must have competed at least 9 credit hours with a minimum 3.5 GPA
Undergraduate students are classified in the following tiers based upon GPA level:
Alpha Tier GPA: 3.75 - 4.00
Bravo Tier GPA: 3.50 - 3.74
Charlie Tier GPA: 3.25 - 3.49
Delta Tier GPA: 3.00 - 3.24
Graduate student needs to have completed 9 credit hours, hold at least a 3.5 GPA, and will be classified as “SALUTE Gold Member”
- Lifetime membership
- Certificate and military-style challenge coin commemorating membership in SALUTE and specific level of academic achievement
- Ability to compete for scholarships
- Enhance your resume with formal academic acknowledgement and engage in local leadership positions
- Opportunities to network, as well as receive and give assistance to fellow student veteran members
- Wear SALUTE Honor’s regalia to demonstrate academic achievements as a veteran status at graduation
- Participate in local, and National, SALUTE programs
- Upon your graduation, the USF Office of Veteran Success will purchase the veteran (red, white and blue) graduation cord and the stole at no-cost to you!
Applications take place at the beginning of every semester, however Induction and graduation only take place during the Fall and Spring semesters.
1. Verify you meet the GPA requirement (upon graduation if you graduate this semester)
2. Pay the $35.00 individual membership SALUTE payment HERE
3. Ensure you have electronic copies of the below documents:
- A copy of your individual $35 SALUTE membership payment receipt (https://salute-colostate.nbsstore.net/salute-individual-membership)
- Unofficial college transcripts (order here) (https://www.floridashines.org/succeed-in-college/check-your-progress)
- DD-214 with HONORABLE discharge or current sctive duty orders (black out SSN)
- A photo of yourself for use during the SALUTE Induction Ceremony
- Spring & Summer 2022 Application Deadline: Sunday February 20th @ 1700
Scheduled Meetings and Induction Ceremonies:
General Meeting: Thursday February 24th, 6pm-7pm USF Saint Petersburgh campus
Networking Event: March 8th, 6pm-9pm USF Tampa campus, time TBD
SALUTE Recognition Softball/Baseball: March 11th, USF Tampa campus , time TBD
SALUTE Induction and graduation ceremony: Friday April 22nd, USF Sarasota-Manatee campus, time TBD
For more information, please contact national SALUTE advisors here.
Chairman, SALUTE Honor Society: Carlos J. Moreira
On behalf of Wayne Taylor, Director of USF Office of Veteran Success, we look forward to welcoming you into the chapter and society!