Advanced Standing MSW Admissions
If you wish to apply for admission to our program, please follow the guidelines outlined below. All admission materials are to be sent to USF Graduate Admissions. Early submission of all application materials is strongly recommended.
Gaining admission to the MSW program is a competitive process. Applicants who meet the minimum criteria will not necessarily be accepted into the program due to space limitations. Each applicant to a graduate program at the University of South Florida is required to meet the following minimum requirements.
The advanced standing program is offered on campus and online. Students qualify by receiving "B-" or better grades in all the undergraduate social work courses. (Students do not qualify with any grade below "B-" in these courses). Both the full- and part-time options are heavily sequenced and students must stay in sequence"
An applicant must have a Bachelor's degree in social work from a regionally accredited institution* and satisfying both of the following criteria:
- Minimum "B-" grade or better in all undergraduate social work courses. Grades below
"B-" do not
qualify. Both the full- and part-time options are heavily sequenced and students must stay in sequence.
- Minimum "B" (3.0) overall GPA.
* The Advanced Standing MSW program requires that all applicants have a BSW degree
from a Council on
Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited program within five years from the term of entry.
NOTE: "B" average is equivalent to a 3.0 GPA
All Admission materials must be received by the USF Graduate Admissions by the specified deadlines of the year for which admission is being sought.
Applicants are required to apply to the USF Graduate Admissions and the USF School of Social Work. The procedures and required materials are outlined below. Please click here if you are interested in applying to our Online Advanced Standing MSW Program.
USF GRADUATE ADMISSIONS APPLICATION
If you have any questions regarding the Graduate Admissions application, call (813) 974-3350 (option 5) or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org You can also visit the USF Graduate Admissions website here: http://www.usf.edu/admissions/contact-us/
2. One official transcript of all undergraduate & graduate coursework attempted and/or completed
Send to: USF Office of Graduate Admissions
4202 E. Fowler Ave. SVC 1036
Tampa, FL 33620-2910
Note: You will need to complete all forms using Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader. Adobe Reader is free. Download here
3. Upload the following documents to your online application (Please note all forms for the supporting documents listed below can be found as part of the USF Graduate Admissions Application.)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- School of Social Work Application
- Two Essays
- Essay 1: Statement of Purpose
- Essay 2: Writing Sample
- Three References: Applicants to the MSW Program are required to submit three references. References should include at least one academic source and one professional source (preferably from a human services experience), and an additional source of either type. However, applicants who are unable to obtain an academic reference may substitute a work (volunteer or paid) or a personal reference. Personal References DO NOT Include Relatives
Please note: A personal interview with members of the faculty may be part of the admissions process. This interview will cover all matters relevant to the candidate's qualifications. Arrangements may be made for the interview to be held elsewhere when traveling distance poses a hardship for the applicant.
Early submission is strongly recommended. All credentials must be received prior to the deadline.
Spring 2020 Full-Time Advanced Standing MSW Program: October 15, 2019
Summer 2020 Full-Time Advanced Standing MSW Program: February 15, 2020
All program inquiries should be directed to the School of Social Work at 813-974-2063 or Send an email.