The University of South Florida offers a program leading to a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree in the School of Social Work within the College of Behavioral and Community Sciences. The BSW Program is fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, the national accrediting body for social work education programs.
The primary objective of the BSW Program is the preparation of the graduate for beginning level practice as a social work generalist. Students can expect to develop an understanding of the following:
- Dynamics of human behavior in individual, group, community, and organizational contexts
- Influences of the social cultural environment upon those behaviors
- Social welfare systems and institutions
- Social, economic, and political processes affecting policy development and program implementation
- Utilization of basic social work research skills
The BSW Program comprises a total of 41 credit hours and can be completed in four semesters. It is a full time, lock-step structured program with two different modalities:
- The in-person cohort takes their coursework through the Tampa campus. Students will generally be on campus three days a week.
- The online cohort takes their coursework through the Sarasota-Manatee campus. It is a mixture of synchronous and asynchronous coursework, which means there will generally be two days of the week in which students are expected to be signed online for live virtual class sessions.
Both cohorts include a 460 hour in-person field placement in the final semester of the program. Please navigate to the Coursework section on the left-hand side to see a breakdown of the BSW program. We recommend strongly that you review these program documents to learn more about the BSW Program and the social work profession.
We are hosting an online prospective student information session on Monday, February 27, 2023 from 5:00 – 6:00 PM. Students will learn more about the social work profession, the social work major at USF, admissions requirements, and have opportunities to ask questions. Students can RSVP here or by using the QR code in the picture below.
Social Work Career Competencies
Child Welfare Certification Pathway
All admissions and advising inquiries should be directed to the Academic Advisor, Justine Leigh, MSW.
To e-mail the Academic Advisor, click here.
To schedule an appointment with the advisor, click one of the links below from a desktop or laptop computer:
Advising for Current USF Students