If you wish to apply for admission to our program, please follow the guidelines outlined below. You will note that some materials are to be sent to the USF Graduate School, and some materials should be sent to the School of Social Work. Early submission of all application materials is strongly recommended.
Gaining admission to the MSW program is a competitive process. Applicants who meet the minimum criteria will not necessarily be accepted into the program due to space limitations. Each applicant to a graduate program at the University of South Florida is required to meet the following minimum requirements.
An applicant must have one of the following:
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with "B" average or better in all work attempted while registered as an undergraduate student working for a degree.
- A bachelor's degree with a "B" average or better from a regionally accredited institution and a previous graduate degree with a "B" average or better from a regionally accredited institution.
- The equivalent bachelors and/or graduate degrees from a foreign institution.
NOTE: "B" average is equivalent to a 3.0 GPA
All applicants must meet the pre-requisites of an undergraduate Liberal Arts background as defined in the Procedures and Criteria for Admission portion of the MSW application.
It is preferred, but not required that all applicants to the Master's Degree program in Social Work have completed one year of post-undergraduate work in a social service agency (in a service capacity) or its equivalent as determined by the MSW Graduate Admissions Committee. Experiences that might be considered as equivalent to one year's work include supervised field practicum hours, extensive volunteer experience, or other professional work experiences.
All MSW applicants will have their undergraduate transcripts evaluated in relation to a set of liberal arts course pre-requisites.
All Admission materials must be received by the Graduate Admissions Office and by the School of Social Work by the specified deadlines of the year for which admission is being sought.
Applicants are required to apply to the USF Graduate School and the USF School of Social Work. The procedures and required materials are outlined below. Please click here if you are interested in applying to our Online Advanced Standing MSW Program.
USF GRADUATE ADMISSIONS APPLICATION
NOTE: There is no need to complete the essays or references through the Graduate School application. It will duplicate the School of Social Work material. If you have any questions regarding the Graduate School application, call (813) 974-3350 or send an e-mail to email@example.com You can also visit the USF Graduate Admissions website here: http://www.usf.edu/admissions/contact-us/
2. One official transcript of all undergraduate & graduate coursework attempted and/or completed
Send to: USF Office of Graduate Admissions
4202 E. Fowler Ave. SVC 1036
Tampa, FL 33620-2910
SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK APPLICATION
1. Please complete the form for the campus that you are applying to:
MSW Chair of Admissions
13301 Bruce B. Downs Blvd., MHC 1400
Tampa, FL 33612
3. References: Applicants to the MSW Program are required to submit three references. References should include at least one academic source and one professional source (preferably from a human services experience), and an additional source of either type. However, applicants who are unable to obtain an academic reference may substitute a work (volunteer or paid) or a personal reference. Personal References DO NOT Include Relatives
*The letter of recommendation should be sent to your references. Once filled out it is to be sent to MSW Applications (firstname.lastname@example.org)
6. A personal interview with members of the faculty may be part of the admissions process. This interview will cover all matters relevant to the candidate's qualifications. Arrangements may be made for the interview to be held elsewhere when traveling distance poses a hardship for the applicant.
7. Early submission is strongly recommended. All credentials must be received by the Graduate Admissions Office prior to the deadline for applications to the Master of Social Work program.
- Summer 2019 Part-Time MSW Program: February 15, 2019
- Fall 2019 Full-Time MSW Program: February 15, 2019
All program inquiries should be directed to the School of Social Work at 813-974-2063 or Send an email.