If you wish to apply for admission to our program, please follow the guidelines outlined below. You will note that all materials are to be sent to the USF Graduate Admissions. Early submission of all application materials is strongly recommended.
Gaining admission to the MSW program is a competitive process. Applicants who meet the minimum criteria will not necessarily be accepted into the program due to space limitations. Each applicant to a graduate program at the University of South Florida is required to meet the following minimum requirements.
An applicant must have one of the following:
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution with "B" average or better in all work attempted while registered as an undergraduate student working for a degree.
- A graduate degree with a "B" average or better from a regionally accredited institution.
- The equivalent bachelors and/or graduate degrees from a foreign institution.
NOTE: "B" average is equivalent to a 3.0 GPA
All applicants must meet the pre-requisites of an undergraduate liberal arts background. We define this as 12 credits including 3 credits biology with human content, and minimum 3 credits of social and behavioral sciences. The remaining 6 credits may be completed through additional social and behavioral sciences, humanities and/or fine arts classes. (One statistics course may also be used in completing this requirement).
It is preferred, but not required that all applicants to the Master's Degree program in Social Work have completed one year of post-undergraduate work in a social service agency (in a service capacity) or its equivalent as determined by the MSW Graduate Admissions Committee. Experiences that might be considered as equivalent to one year's work include supervised field practicum hours, extensive volunteer experience, or other professional work experiences.
All MSW applicants will have their undergraduate transcripts evaluated in relation to a set of liberal arts course pre-requisites.
All Admission materials must be received by the Graduate Admissions Office by the specified deadlines of the year for which admission is being sought.
Applicants are required to apply to the USF Graduate Admissions and the USF School of Social Work. The procedures and required materials are outlined below. Please click here if you are interested in applying to our Online Advanced Standing MSW Program.
USF GRADUATE ADMISSIONS APPLICATION
If you have any questions regarding the Graduate Admissions application, call (813) 974-3350 (option 5) or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org You can also visit the USF Graduate Admissions website here: http://www.usf.edu/admissions/contact-us/
2. One official transcript of all undergraduate & graduate coursework attempted and/or completed
Send to: USF Office of Graduate Admissions
4202 E. Fowler Ave. SVC 1036
Tampa, FL 33620-2910
3. Upload the following documents to your online application (Please note all forms for the supporting documents listed below can be found as part of the USF Graduate Admissions Application.)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- School of Social Work Application
- Two Essays
- Essay 1: Statement of Purpose
- Essay 2: Writing Sample
- Three References: Applicants to the MSW Program are required to submit three references. References should include at least one academic source and one professional source (preferably from a human services experience), and an additional source of either type. However, applicants who are unable to obtain an academic reference may substitute a work (volunteer or paid) or a personal reference. Personal References DO NOT Include Relatives
Please note: A personal interview with members of the faculty may be part of the admissions process. This interview will cover all matters relevant to the candidate's qualifications. Arrangements may be made for the interview to be held elsewhere when traveling distance poses a hardship for the applicant.
Early submission is strongly recommended. All credentials must be received prior to the deadline.
- Summer 2020 Sarasota-Manatee Campus Part-Time Traditional MSW Program: February 15, 2020
- Fall 2020 Tampa Campus Full-Time Traditional MSW Program: February 15, 2020
All program inquiries should be directed to the School of Social Work at 813-974-2063 or Send an email.