Bulls L.E.A.D. Program
APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT ALL DOCUMENTS ONLINE BY March 20, 2019.
You may request an extension if needed by clicking on the contact us button below.
What is Bulls L.E.A.D.:
Bulls L.E.A.D. is a people-focused, technical leadership initiative for engineering students fostered by the COE Dean's Office consisting of two steps:
- Bulls L.E.A.D. is rooted in self initiative; the program promotes a leadership model reflecting how effective leadership begins with self-awareness and leading one's self, then
- Progressing beyond this initial context, Bulls L.E.A.D. addresses the importance of leading people and ultimately, leading the development and growth of an organization that inspires innovation and develops new technology.
Bulls L.E.A.D. will
- Prepare engineering student leaders to think and lead as they work to solve challenges through life-enhancing, technical innovations,
- Sharpen critical competencies such as self-confidence and selflessness, courage to take risks, and integrity in order to do what is best in the context of people-centered leadership, and
- Become a transformational model that develops engineering leaders who will make the right kind of difference by focusing on people—the world's most precious raw material.
- Opportunity to connect with industry mentors
- Participation in high impact leadership events
- Leadership Certification to include on resume
- Consideration to be an Engineering Ambassador
- Access to coaching sessions
- Free of cost to students
Goals and Objectives:
Bulls L.E.A.D. transforms engineering leadership by instilling the ultimate imperative of putting people first when it comes to technology development.
The objectives are to:
- Educate and develop the leadership character of engineering student leaders that will lead teams in solving problems,
- Nurture the self-initiative of students determined to shape their professional development as each personally designs—and implements—an individual portfolio/plan for sharpening critical leadership competencies, and
- Align engineering student leadership with the COE Strategic Plan 2025
Application and Selection Process:
Criteria: Applicant must be a full time engineering student (includes Engineering General, Pre–Engineering, and admitted to discipline), and classified as either a sophomore or junior. In addition, the applicant must have a USF GPA of 3.5 or higher. Any interested students who do not meet the minimum criteria but have demonstrated exceptional leadership skills are encourage to contact the Dean's office for consideration.
Requirements while in the program: Once admitted into the program, the student must remained register for at least 12 credits and maintain a 3.0 GPA. Demonstrating an active participation (i.e. attendance, activity engagement, etc.) during the program is also required.
Application Process: Students must submit the following documents through the program's website:
1. Essay: Applicants must address the following questions or areas in no more than two pages (single spaced, 12 font, 1" margins)
- What type of leader do you aspire to be?
- How would you characterize your leadership strengths and weaknesses? Provide examples.
- Describe your most significant transformational experience.
- What are 1-3 things you want to achieve by being part of the Bulls LEAD Program?
- Where do you see yourself after graduation?
- Close with any final thoughts that the selection committee should consider when reviewing your application.
2. Resume: Be sure to list any extracurricular activities, student organizations, previous leadership programs, community service and work experience. Tell us about any offices held, length in that role, and duties completed while participating in each activity. Also, include any distinctions, honors, and awards.
3. Letter of Recommendation: The recommendation may be from faculty, staff or former/current employer. The following questions must be address in the letter:
- How long have you known the applicant and in what capacity?
- What impact do you hope this program will have upon the applicant?
- Please assess the applicant's strength and development needs.