Transient Students

A transient student form is used when a student wishes to take courses at an institution outside of the University of South Florida. Students wishing to take courses at public institutions in Florida must complete the Transient Form online (see procedures section below). This form can be used to request approval for courses taken as cross enrollment (enrollment at USF and the other institution) or transient enrollment (courses taken only at another institution). Once the form is completed, it will be automatically sent within three business days to your advisor/college office and to the Office of the Registrar. The form is typically reviewed within 24-48 hours.

Students interested in taking courses at a private or out-of-state institution must complete the Registrar's Office Transient Student Form following the instructions on the form.

Please keep in mind that transient or cross enrollment in courses that are available in the USF during Fall and Spring semesters will only be approved in very extenuating circumstances. However, transient enrollment in the Summer will be approved if the student resides and the courses are offered at institutions outside of Pinellas, Pasco and Hillsborough counties.


1.  Complete the Transient Student Admission Application form.
2.  Your academic advisor/college office will be notified of the transient enrollment request.
3.  Your College will authorize or not authorize your enrollment request. This decision is then electronically submitted to the

Registrar's Office (USF Regional Records Office) for certification.

  • If your enrollment request is approved, the Records Office of The Registrar will certify your academic status and forward the transient request electronically to the receiving institution. Check with the receiving institution to determine if additional paperwork is required.
  • If the transient enrollment form is not approved by USF, no financial aid will be disbursed. Depending on procedures at the other institutions, a student may or may not be able to enroll in courses utilizing his/her own resources.

4.  When you receive notification that the transient request has been approved, print a copy of the completed form. If you are a financial aid or scholarship recipient, visit University Scholarships & Financial Aid Services to download and print the appropriate financial aid request form. Take a copy of the completed and approved Transient Student form as well as the completed financial aid request form to the office of University Scholarships & Financial Aid Services (SVC 1102), to determine if your scholarship or financial aid can be used at the other institution.

5. Upon completion of classes, university regulations require that you request an official copy of your transcript be sent to: 

    University of South Florida
    Office of Undergraduate Admissions
    4202 East Fowler Avenue, SVC 1036
    Tampa, Florida 33620

You may ask that the transcript be sent electronically if the other institution participates in the electronic transfer program.

Still have questions? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page for quick answers and helpful information.