Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions by Topic


What is a transcript, and why do I need one?

A transcript is the official document that provides a detailed summary of your academic achievements and is often required for various academic and professional purposes, including transferring, applying to graduate school, seeking employment, and more.

How can I request an official copy of my transcript?

If you are a current student or still have access to myUSF, order through myUSF.

  • When you login to your myUSF account, go to the top of the page and click the tab that says My Resources and click OASIS from the drop-down menu.
  • Once you are logged into OASIS, click the link that says Student.
  • Next, click Student Records.
  • Finally, click Order Official Transcript and follow the prompts from Parchment to place your order.

Former students and alumni,  access the transcript ordering page.

How much does it cost to request a transcript?

For an official transcript, there is a $10 fee plus a $2.42 processing fee for each transcript ordered. Active students are able to access  an unofficial transcript at no cost. Former students may only access official transcripts.

How do I check the status of my transcript request?

To check the status of your transcript request, please visit Parchment for specific steps on how to view your order’s progress.

How long does it take to process a transcript request?

Processing times vary depending on how the transcript is requested:

  • Electronic delivery: Up to 3 business days for processing and delivery.
  • Printed and mailed standard delivery (United States): Up to 3 business days for processing, up to 10 days for delivery via the United States Postal Service.
  • Printed and mailed standard delivery (International): Up to 3 business days for processing, up to 30 days for delivery.
  • Local Pickup: Up to 7 business days for processing. You will be notified via Parchment once it has been processed and is ready for pickup.

Be aware that additional time is required for students to resolve holds and for requesting a Notarized Transcript (not common), or if you are submitting an attachment to be sent with your official transcript.

How can I see if I have a hold that would prevent the release of Official Transcripts?

If you’ve been a student in the last year, you can check to see if you have any holds on your record by signing in to your OASIS account and navigating to Student > Student Records > View Holds. If you have a hold, please visit our Holds page for more information on how to resolve the hold. Please be aware that even though you can submit a transcript request, the request will not be processed until all holds preventing the release of transcripts have been resolved. If the hold has not been resolved within 20 days of placing a request, your request will be cancelled and refunded.

I resolved my hold; how do I make sure my transcript request is processed?

The Parchment system checks for resolved holds twice a day. If the hold has been resolved, and you do not see any additional holds when viewing the holds screen in OASIS, any requests that were previously “On Hold” will automatically update and move to the next steps for processing. We recommend allowing 24-48 hours for these updates. Note: If you already have an active request in Parchment, you should not place a new request once the hold has been resolved unless you require additional transcripts.

  • If you need additional assistance, please email USFTranscript@usf.edu with your name and U-ID number or DID (order number). A member of our team will review your case and respond to your email.

Can I have my transcript sent electronically to another college or employer?

Yes; through Parchment you are able to choose where to send your transcript electronically or via physical mail.

  • Note: If you are on the ‘Set Delivery Destination’ screen and you do not see your intended recipient when using the search feature, select the 'I’m sending to myself or another individual' option below the search bar and select the appropriate option. You’ll then be guided to the screen to enter the recipient's information manually. The delivery method defaults to ‘Electronic (Delivered by Email)’ but this can be changed to ‘Print & Mailed’ or ‘Local Pickup’ if desired. 

Can I have my transcript sent via FASTER/SPEEDE?

Our institution utilizes the FASTER/SPEEDE electronic transcript transfer system where possible if the recipient institution accepts transcript via those systems. These requests are placed through the Parchment site just like all other official transcript requests. From the ‘Available Credentials’ screen, select the 'Official Transcript' order option. Once you are on the ‘Set Delivery Destination’ page, you can use the search feature to identify and select your intended recipient. Once the recipient has been selected, if the default delivery method is listed as 'Electronic', the transcript will be sent using SPEEDE/FASTER.

If when using the institution lookup table, the only option available is for a physical hard-copy transcript, that means we are currently unable to send electronic transcripts to that institution and your transcript will be sent as a physical hard-copy through the mail.

  • Sending to the Florida Department of Education (FLDoE): Transcripts requested via Parchment to the Florida Department of Education are sent via FASTER/SPEEDE so long as they are selected from the search feature as described above. They can be found under the name ‘Florida Dept of Education Certification.’

What information is included in my transcript?

  • Course Names and Numbers: A list of all the courses the student has taken during their college career.
  • Grades: The letter grades earned for each course (e.g., A, B, C, etc...).
  • Credit Hours: The number of credit hours associated with each course, indicating the amount of academic work required.
  • GPA (Grade Point Average): An overall GPA, which is calculated based on the student's grades and credit hours, providing a measure of their academic performance.
  • Degree and Major: Information about the student's declared major(s) and any degrees earned.
  • Dates: Enrollment dates, including the start and end dates for each semester or term.

Will my Social Security Number be printed on my official transcript?

USF transcripts do not include Social Security Numbers. If you require your Social Security Number be included with your transcript, please add it as an attachment when placing your request through Parchment.

How can I access my unofficial transcript?

If you’ve been enrolled at USF within the last year, can view your unofficial transcript on FloridaShines.org.

  • Select Check Now under the transcript section
  • Choose University of South Florida from the drop-down menu
  • Sign-in with your USF NetID and password

What if I can’t log into FloridaShines to view my unofficial transcript?

You will need to request an official transcript.

What should I do if there is an error on my transcript, and how can it be corrected?

If you believe there is an error with your transcript order, please email USFtranscript@usf.edu with your name, U-ID number and DID (order) number, which can be found in your Parchment account.

When I tried to order my transcript, I received the error message, "We are unable to fulfill your request because you have no course work at USF". What does that mean?

USF transcripts contain a complete chronological list of your academic history. However, they do not show  in progress courses. If this is your first term at USF, you may request official transcripts after final grades have been made visible. Check the Important Dates and Deadlines for availability of grades.

When can I get a grade verification letter?

Current term grades are reflected on official USF transcripts approximately one week after final exams; e.g. late December for Fall semester and late May for Spring semester. Transcripts are $10 per copy (transcript fee subject to change) and can be ordered online via OASIS.

During Summer term, sessions A & C only, a grade verification letter may be requested from the Office of the Registrar at the end of the session. The end of Summer session B coincides with the end of the entire Summer term; therefore, only official USF transcripts are available for Summer session B in late August.

Grade verification letter requests for Summer sessions A or C must be submitted in writing to the Office of the Registrar. The written request must include the student's name, USF ID, session A or C courses taken, signature, third party address (university, community college, employer etc.) to be mailed. To have the grade verification letter mailed, you will need to provide a self-addressed stamped envelope. A grade verification letter will be available for pick-up in person within the next business day or will be mailed to the requested third party within 48 hours.

Note: Grade verification letters will only verify a grade submitted by a Summer session A or C session course instructor. Grade point averages are only calculated at the end of the entire Summer term; therefore, grade verification letters will not include grade point averages.

registration (add, Drop, Withdraw)

I dropped a class in the current term in error. How do I fix it?

If it has been less than 24 hours, send an email to registrarupdates@usf.edu to request reinstatement. Please include your U-number and the course information of the dropped course.

If it has been more than 24 hours, you will need to apply for a petition to be re-added to the course. Undergraduate students submit an Academic Regulation Committee request through  the ARC process.  Graduate students submit a Graduate Studies Petition.

How do I get a registration time?

Registration times are assigned one-month before registration opens.  Check myUSF for your registration time.  If the registration dates are published here, and you do not see your registration time, here’s how to fix that:

If you’re a graduate student, contact registrarupdates@usf.edu for assistance. If you’re  an undergraduate student and you’ve been cleared by Orientation email registrarupdates@usf.edu for assistance.  If you haven’t yet attended orientation, you will not have a registration time.

My instructor has given me permission to register for their closed course during registration, but I am getting an error message when I attempt to register. Why?

Although your instructor has authorized you to join the requested class, the classroom may not be large enough, or the College that offers the course may not support your request. Please contact your Academic Advising team for assistance to complete your registration.

I am getting a "Student Attribute Restriction” error message when I attempt to register for classes. What do I do? 

Review your Oasis account in myUSF for any outstanding items. Click the “Personal” tab and scroll down to "View Immunization Record.” Ensure that you do not have missing immunization documents, as they will prevent you from registering for any course that meets in person for any amount of time.  For assistance, contact the Student Health & Wellness Center.

How do I late add a course?

After Drop/Add week, students must submit a petition to add any courses to their term schedule. This is referred to as a Late Add.

Both processes require that you demonstrate exceptional circumstances that prevented your timely registration with verifiable documentation. Approvals are not guaranteed.

Can I be dropped after I am registered?

USF reserves the right to drop a student when they do not adhere to USF Policy and deadlines.

Why was I dropped for prerequisites after registering?

USF reserves the right to drop a student who does not meet the course requisites for the appropriate course(s). A student whose registration is cancelled for failed requisites will receive an email notification to their USF email account from the Office of the Registrar.

How do I know on the schedule search what days a class meets?

  • M = Monday
  • T = Tuesday
  • W = Wednesday
  • R = Thursday
  • F = Friday
  • S = Saturday
  • U = Sunday

Consecutive letters: course meets on all days listed (ex. TR=Tuesday and Thursday)

What do the different instructional method categories mean?

  • AD (all online) = 100% online
  • PD (primarily distance) = 80-99% online
  • HB (hybrid blend) = 50-79% online
  • CL (classroom) = less than 50% online

Do online classes cost more than classes that meet in person? 

A $30 per credit hour fee is assessed for all classes that meet at “All Online” or “Primarily DL” as noted on the class schedule search.

How do I know if a course has extra fees?

When viewing results of a Schedule Search, click on the hyperlinked five-digit CRN, then click on the hyperlinked course title and number.  Any extra fees will be listed underneath the registration availability section.

What does it mean if Permit Req is checked “Y” on the Schedule Search?

This means that the department is requiring that you request permission to take the course. Please refer to Permits for instructions.  

How do I know if I am eligible to register for a particular course?

When viewing results of a Schedule Search, click on the hyperlinked five-digit CRN, then click on the hyperlinked course title and number.  All restrictions and prerequisites will be listed at the bottom.  If you meet all the criteria, you will be able to register for the course.  If you are missing any criteria but would like to request special permission, please refer to Permits.

How do I register for full or closed section that has a waitlist?

If a class is full but has a waitlist option, select “Waitlist” from the options in the Registration drop-down menu.  If a spot becomes open, an email will be sent to your USF email account.  You will have only 24 hours from the point of notification to add yourself into the course.  Once the 24 hours elapses, the spot goes to the next person on the list without exception.

How do I search for classes that are full (closed)?

On the schedule search, unselect “Limit to Open Sections ONLY.” 

Where do my classes meet if it says “EXAM100” for location?

This indicates an exam location will be assigned by the instructor. Your instructor will inform you of the exam meeting day, time, and location.

Do courses that I take have to be offered by my home campus?

Students can register for any courses at Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Sarasota-Manatee campus locations, regardless of their home campus. There are limits to online courses and taking courses on other campuses for some international students due to the requirements of home countries.  Please check with Office of International Services to ensure that you are staying compliant with your student visa and home country expectations.

I am registered but my courses are not in Canvas?

Canvas updates every two hours. Check back later in the day if the course was recently added to your schedule.

How do I register for a course if the section status says NR?

NR means that course is accepting No Registrations; select another section. A petition is required to request an adjustment to your schedule after the end of the drop/add period for that part of term.  For undergraduate students, the Academic Regulations Committee request is submitted online through Archivum. Graduate students may submit a Graduate Studies Petition to your program advisor. Both processes require that you demonstrate exceptional circumstances that prevented your timely registration with verifiable documentation. Approvals are not guaranteed.

How do I receive a permit for a course?

For more information about permits, click here.

Can I be excluded from the summer enrollment requirement?

You may request a waiver of mandatory summer enrollment for one of the following three reasons:

  • Summer employment documented on official employer letterhead every summer term not enrolled. The documentation must clearly indicate that you were engaged in seasonal employment only during summer.
  • Academic program courses unavailable summer terms documented on official letterhead from your academic advisor.
  • Unusual hardship due to exceptional circumstances well beyond your control.
  • Directly related, appropriate supporting documentation detailing the extenuating circumstances must accompany your waiver application for review.

Summer Enrollment Requirement Waiver Applications should only be submitted to the Office of the Registrar during the semester in which you apply to graduate.

Allow 3 weeks for processing and receipt of approval or denial.

How do I withdraw from USF?

If you are a graduate student, you must complete the Graduate Voluntary Withdrawal Form.

All students must make sure to drop or withdraw from all of their courses and let the applicable offices know: 

For more information regarding withdrawals, please visit this site. For information regarding Financial Aid with the drop & withdrawal process, please visit this site. To let USF know you don't plan to attend a term before it starts, visit this site.

I was cancelled for financial reasons; how can I get re-added to my classes?

Please consult the Re-Add Process to determine the steps to take depending on the date.

Academic regulation Committee (ARC) Petitions, Grad petitions, and Fee Adjustments

How do I check the status of my ARC petition?

Log into Archivum, select Student Records, and then select Submitted Forms. Processing times range from  3 to 10 business days.

Do I qualify for a fee adjustment if I’m not withdrawn?

You must withdraw via OASIS  before filing for fee adjustment consideration. If the deadline to withdraw via OASIS has passed, then an approved ARC Petition or Graduate Studies Petition must be approved and fully processed before filing for fee adjustment consideration.

Does my approved ARC Petition or Graduate Studies Petition guarantee a fee adjustment request will be approved?

There is no crossover of processes from ARC and Graduate Studies Petition committees to the Fee Adjustment Request process.  The petition committee reviews are independent of the Fee Adjustment Request.

Can I file for a fee adjustment for a prior term?

You can file a fee adjustment for a prior term, but you may only file for consideration up until six months from the last day of classes in the academic term for which the adjustment is applicable. After that, acceptable proof of physical or mental incapacity that prevented submission by the six month deadline must be provided.

Is financial hardship a permissible condition under which to file for fee adjustment consideration?

Financial hardship is not one of the five State-defined conditions on the Fee Adjustment Request form. Students remain responsible for paying all tuition and associated fees by the payment deadline. Tuition and fees are encumbered at the point of registration. All students must drop courses for which they do not wish to be financially responsible by the fifth day of the term or part of term, which is  known as the Drop/Add deadline.

What are the state-defined conditions for fee adjustment consideration?

  1. Student illness of such severity or duration that precluded course completion. Acceptable proof including the signature and license number of a healthcare provider on either a completed USF Medical Form or medical practice letterhead must be provided. NOTE: Diagnosis disclosures are never required, just that the medical professional recommended withdrawal or course load reduction.

  2. Death of student’s immediate family member as defined by the State of Florida; i.e. only parent, grandparent, step-parent, sibling, spouse or child. Acceptable proof the decedent is an immediate relation to the student must be provided via death certificate or obituary.

  3. Voluntary or involuntary call to active duty as confirmed by military orders. Submit a Military Withdrawal Form instead of an ARC Petition or a Grad Petition.

  4. University error confirmed in writing by an appropriate USF employee responsible for committing the error. NOTE: Faculty members not dropping a student for first day non-attendance isn’t university error as students are solely responsible to ensure any course they do not wish to attend is dropped self-service via OASIS by the published Drop/Add deadline.

  5. Exceptional circumstances beyond the control of the student which prevented a drop by the Drop/Add deadline. Examples include proof of approved homeowners or renters insurance claims after a fire, inclement weather or another dire event not the student’s fault that occurred after the Drop/Add deadline that displaced the student or proof, on company letterhead, of a mandatory change in work hours after the Drop/Add deadline in a job the student was employed in before the term began. NOTE: It is the Fee Adjustment Committee members who determine whether circumstances meet the definition of exceptional, not the petitioner. 

Where do I find the Fee Adjustment Request form?

The Fee Adjustment Request form is available at www.usf.edu/registrar under Forms.

Where do I turn in a Fee Adjustment Request Form for consideration?

Turn in your completed form and supporting documentation to aa-far@usf.edu. There is no Archivum workflow for this process. The decision will be emailed to your USF-issued email address.

When will I receive a decision?

The committee members make decisions by consensus on a weekly basis, so most petitioners whose form and acceptable proof are complete will receive their decision at their USF-issued email address within ten business days from receipt. However, depending on the volume of incoming requests for consideration, the longest it could take to receive their decision at your USF-issued email address is thirty days from receipt.

Who can I speak to if I have questions regarding eligibility for fee adjustment consideration?

Please send your questions to aa-far@usf.edu.

Can I file for appeal if I’m denied fee adjustment?

All fee adjustment eligibility decisions are considered final; however, petitioners may appeal a denial once with different forms of proof not already reviewed by the committee. An appeal should arrive on a new Fee Adjustment Request form. Email the request form  from a USF-issued email address to the committee at aa-far@usf.edu, and within 30 days a decision to either let the previous denial stand or to reverse it will be rendered that cannot be appealed again.

Do I qualify for a fee adjustment if my ARC or Grad Petition was approved?

The ARC and Grad decision do not affect fee liability and will not automatically be approved. The fee adjustment is an entirely separate process. The only part that links this to the student's ARC or Grad Petition is that the petition must be approved before submitting the Fee Adjustment. Also, students must complete a Fee Adjustment Request within six months of the end of the semester being petitioned through the Office of the Registrar to address fee liability. All decisions are final. An appeal may be processed if the original fee adjustment requested additional information. 

If your ARC Petition form was approved and the courses were within six month of the end of the semester, you may download the fee adjustment form, complete it, sign and date it and either submit the form along with supporting documentation to aa-far@usf.edu.

Who do I contact if I was charged for student insurance and should not have been?

The Student Health and Wellness Center manages all aspects of student insurance.


How do I establish residency for tuition purposes at USF?

When you apply to the university as a degree-seeking student, your initial residency is reviewed and determined by the Office of Admissions based on the information you provide with your application. If you apply as a non-degree seeking student, your initial residency is reviewed and determined by the Non-Degree team in the Office of the Registrar. If you do not provide enough information to determine your residency, you will be classified as a non-Florida resident for tuition purposes.

What documents do I need to provide to prove my residency for reclassification purposes?

For a full list of documents required to prove your residency, please read the Residency Request for Reclassification form.

What is the difference between in-state and out-of-state residency?

In-state status is only for those residents who reside in the state permanently with established legal domicile in Florida. Permanent Florida residency is demonstrated by the absence of ties to any other state and establishment of a bona fide domicile in Florida. An out-of-state permanent address on pertinent records can result in an out-of-state classification as it indicates established ties to another state.

Do international students have different residency requirements?

Are there any exceptions or special circumstances that can influence residency determination?

In rare cases, state statute allows you to receive temporary classification for in-state tuition purposes provided supporting documentation is submitted. You should only request reclassification under one of these categories if you do not meet the requirements as either an independent or dependent student.

For a full list of exception categories, please visit this page.

How do I change my residency status?

  • If you need to make changes to your residency status in your first semester as a degree seeking student at USF, contact the Office of Admissions at admissions@usf.edu.
  • If you need to make changes to your residency status after your first semester, follow the instructions here for further clarification on requirements.
  • Non-degree students should contact nondegree@usf.edu for assistance.

Student records

When should I turn in my grade forgiveness form?

If your grade forgiveness request is for a course completed in a prior term, feel free to submit your request at any time. If your request is for the current term, wait until the course withdrawal deadline has passed. This is to ensure that you are still enrolled in the course and on track to pass. Potential graduates and students on probation or being dismissal are prioritized in the processing, which begins after final grades post in the myUSF portal.

If I do not enroll in the term I was admitted, how do I update my term of entry?

An undergraduate student can update their original application for up to three terms in the future by submitting an application update form in your MyUSF application status portal. Click here for more information on updating your undergraduate application.

A non-degree student may contact the Office of the Registrar from their USF email address to update the term of entry. Please include your name, USF ID number, and a brief statement of why you are requesting a change in admit term. Record updates will not be accepted from non-USF email addresses.

Where can I see if I have a hold on my record in OASIS?

  1. Navigate to your myUSF Portal.
  2. Click on My Resources.
  3. Click on OASIS from the drop-down menu.
  4. Click Student.
  5. Click Student Records.
  6. Click View All Holds.

How do I know if I have met my immunization requirements?

You may view your Immunization records in OASIS by following these steps:

  • Visit myUSF and log in to your account using your NetID and password.
  • Under My Resources, click OASIS.
  • In OASIS, click Student.
  • Click Personal Information.
  • Click View Immunization Record.

What if Degree Works does not have all my credits transferred into USF?

All your transfer work should appear on your Degree Audit.  If your transfer work does not count toward a degree requirement, you will find the transfer courses listed at the end of your audit in the 'Fall Through' section. You may talk to your academic advising team in your college about why a specific course or courses is not counting toward your degree requirements.  If your transfer work does not appear, be sure to follow up with the Office of Admissions if you’ve already sent a transcript from the other college or university to USF. Even if you’re a continuing student, the Office of Admissions receives your transcript for evaluation, not the Office of the Registrar. Transfer work must be posted to your student academic record no later than one full term prior to your graduation.

Who can I speak to about being academically dismissed?

It is recommended for students to meet with their academic advising team to discuss if ARC for requesting reinstatement process is a viable option.

How do I change my home campus?

For more information about changing your home campus click here.

Does USF offer grade forgiveness?

The University of South Florida's Grade Forgiveness Policy permits undergraduates and non-degree seeking students to repeat a course and have the new grade computed in their GPAs in place of the original grade. The repeated course grade must be a "D" or higher. Once a student is awarded a bachelor's degree, however, USF's Grade Forgiveness Policy cannot be applied to courses counted toward that degree. Please note that the original and the repeat course must be taken at USF. Each student is limited to three Grade Forgivenesses with no more than one repeat per course. Also, a student receiving an "FF" grade indicating academic dishonesty cannot use the Grade Forgiveness Policy subsequent to course repetition.

How do I calculate my GPA?

Calculate your GPA by dividing the total number of quality points earned at USF by the total number of non-excluded course credit hours attempted at USF. Quality points per course are equal to the course credit hours multiplied by the grade quality value.

Grade quality values are as follow: A/A+ = 4.00 ; A- = 3.67 ; B+ = 3.33 ; B = 3.00 ;

B- = 2.67 ; C+ = 2.33 ; C = 2.00 ; C- = 1.67 ; D+ = 1.33 ; D = 1.00 ; D- = .67 ; F = 0

Exclude I, IU, M, MU, N, S, U, W, Z and E graded courses from the total hours attempted calculation.

An example/hypothetical GPA calculation follows:

249.64 / 63.91 = 3.9

For further assistance contact your academic advising team in the college of your major.

Undergraduate and Public Health graduate students may access Degree Works from myUSF; your USF GPA and Overall GPA will display at the top of your Worksheets.


How do I get my (EGD) Expected Graduation Date updated?

Contact your academic advising team to request an updated EGD.  Your advising team will inform the Office of the Registrar of the change they have authorized.

Can credits earned as a Non-Degree Student transfer into my degree program?

As an accepted student at USF, you may apply to transfer a limited number of hours taken as a non-degree student into your degree program; a maximum of twelve semester hours taken at the graduate level and fourteen maximum at the undergraduate level.

Transfer credit for more than twelve graduate level hours taken as a non-degree student must be approved by the Dean of the Graduate School. A maximum of eight semester hours (or three courses) may be transferred from another graduate school. Transfer work must be posted to your student academic record no later than one full term prior to your graduation.

Your Graduate Transfer Courses Form is turned in directly by your college to the Office of Graduate Studies.

Excess Hours

I am being charged excess hours and I believe the charges are incorrect, what should I do?

Email registrarupdates@usf.edu from your USF student email. Be sure to include your U-ID number with your concern and we will investigate.

I believe I have courses that should be exempt from counting towards my excess hour threshold, what should I do?

Contact your academic advising team to review your Excess Hour charges and Degree Works audit for possible exemptions as allowed by State Statute.

What is the excess hours surcharge?

In 2009, the Florida Legislature implemented Section 1009.286, Florida Statutes to encourage students to complete their baccalaureate degree as quickly and efficiently as possible. It established what is commonly referred to as an "Excess Credit Hour Surcharge." The provisions of this section became effective for students who entered a Florida community college or a Florida public university for the first time in the 2009-2010 academic year and thereafter.

Learn more about Excess Hours on our webpage.

What credits are counted in calculating the excess credit hour surcharge?

All college credit hours count including: courses you fail, courses you drop after the end of drop/add, withdrawals, repeats and transfer credit earned at another institution. However, credits that are not counted are those dropped prior to the end of the drop/add period and credits that fall in the other specific categories of credit as listed below.

Are there any credits that do not count toward the threshold percentage?

Click here for more information.

Do graduate courses count?

Graduate-level credit that attempted or applied to the completion of a baccalaureate degree is included in the calculation for excess hours. The Graduate-level credit that is NOT counted is:

Graduate-level credit that is attempted or completed and is not intended or actually counted toward a baccalaureate degree;
Graduate-level credit attempted as part of a 3+2 dual bachelor's/master's degree where the credit applies to both the undergraduate and graduate requirements

What if I take a course as a transient student at another institution? Will that count toward excess hours?

Yes. All courses taken as part of your degree program will count unless they are among the list of exemptions approved by law.

What happens to my Excess Credit Hour Counter when I change majors?

When you elect to change your major there may be a change to the number of credits included in your total hours towards the degree program. All institutional credits attempted for any major will continue to be included in your total hours for the excess hours calculation.

How does this work with an undecided/undeclared major?

All students are required to declare a major.

  • Transfer Students: All transfer students are required declare a major upon admission. Any non-degree applicable transfer credits may be excluded from your excess credit hour counter.
  • First Time In College Student (FTIC): All FTIC students are required to declare within 36 hours. All credits earned while enrolled at USF will count toward the excess credit hour limit.

Are second bachelor's degrees included?

Yes, if the credits earned during the first baccalaureate degree apply to the second baccalaureate degree they will be counted in the excess credit hour calculation for the second baccalaureate degree. Any credits attempted that may not be utilized for the second baccalaureate degree are excluded. You would not be assessed the excess credit hour surcharge until you have exceeded the percentage  of the hours allowed for the second baccalaureate degree. Most second bachelor's degrees only require that you complete an extra 30-40 hours.

Are internship credit hours included in excess hour calculations?

Internships, whether optional or required, are excluded from your counter. The University will exclude these hours automatically from your excess credit counter whenever possible. However, it is not always possible to identify internships on the academic record of a student, especially when taken at another institution. If you feel that your excess credit hour counter includes internship hours, please contact your academic advisor.

What about credit for Certification?

Courses that are part of the class instruction preparation for a professional certification exam my be excluded from your excess credit total. Specific courses that prepare you for the exam may be excluded from your total, but not all courses in the degree program.

What about credit I earned while on active duty military?

All credit attempted while on active duty is exempt from the Excess Credit Hour Law. Documenting active duty military service is something that we do not currently track, so it is critical that you let us know of any credit that you have taken while on active duty. You will need to submit a written request as part of the appeal along with your military transcript.

FERPA/Student Privacy

Why can’t my parents conduct USF business without me? They pay the bill! 

If you are 18 or have attended at least one class meeting at USF, your education records are protected by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (1974) (FERPA), regardless of who pays the bill. Now that you’re enrolled at USF, you are expected to complete registration, payment arrangements, etc. on your own and submit information on behalf of your parents and claimants.

Can my parents (or another third party) be given access to review my student record information?

Yes. Please visit the Student Privacy Rights page for information on what a third party will have access to and how to submit a Student Record Access Authorization form.

Can you tell me my final grades over the phone?

There are two ways to find out your final grades. You may look them up through OASIS, or you may request a transcript.

Can my parents access OASIS to pay my bill?

USF does not currently provide third party access to OASIS. You are strongly advised NOT to share your log-in information with anyone, as you are held responsible for all actions taken through OASIS.

You may log-on to OASIS in the presence of your parents or another third party, if they  wish to view your current account balance and help you pay online. Your parents may also wish to have a copy of your grades and current class schedule, which you can print from OASIS.

Can my parents request a letter certifying that I am enrolled as a full-time student at USF?

Often your family or employer needs a letter of certification about your enrollment to provide for tuition benefits or insurance companies coverage and/or receive a discounted rate. Enrollment certifications are available to students self-serve in OASIS the third week of the term. The Office of the Registrar also processes proof of enrollment requests.

Can I permanently block access to my student record?

Yes, you can place additional safeguards on your student record information. Login to Archivum to restrict access to your student record.

Semester Deadline for Students to Opt-Out
Fall semester: Fifth week of the term
Spring semester: Third week of the term
Summer session: Third week of the term

Students seeking privacy of their student records may submit their request electronically through the Office of the Registrar Privacy Request web page.

What are common student information disclosures?

Enrollment verification to your insurance company, a degree verification to a prospective employer, your name and contact information listed in the internal USF Directory, or your names and awards published in Commencement and Honors programs are typical student information disclosures.

Are you interested in more information about student record privacy?

Can I send my question(s) from my personal email account if I include my Student U number?

No. Your USF email address is the primary address through which students should always communicate with the university so we ensure your personal information remains protected and authenticated. You can access your USF email address at the following link: http://my.usf.edu

proof of enrollment

Can USF provide a letter of non-attendance?

Yes, if you dropped courses before earning a withdraw (W) grade, and you need proof, the Office of the Registrar can provide that proof.  However, if you have earned W grades, you will be directed to request an official transcript.

I have a deadline before the Drop/Add date to have my enrollment verified. Can you make an exception for me?

USF is unable to verify enrollment before the Drop/Add deadline (second week of classes) of a term, because students can drop courses non-fee liable.  All requests for a term that hasn’t yet begun are held until the Drop/Add deadline. Once the Drop/Add deadline has passed, requests are processed in the order in which they are received.

Can USF provide a class schedule?

No, the Office of the Registrar does not provide class schedules as a part of the enrollment certification process.  Students are directed to myUSF to view and print their class schedules.

What is considered full-time, half (part)-time, and less than half (part) time enrollment?

The following, per student type, illustrates the hours of enrollment necessary to prove Full, Half and Less than Half time status:

Undergraduate Full time = 12 or more credit hours
Undergraduate Half time = 6 to 11 credit hours
Undergraduate Less than Half time = 1 to 5 credit hours

Graduate Full time = 9 or more credit hours
Graduate Half time = 5 to 8 credit hours
Graduate Less than Half time - 1 to 4 credit hours

I received proof of enrollment or degree from the National Student Clearinghouse. What's the process to validate that information?

The National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) is contracted by the University of South Florida to provide enrollment and degree verification services.  Therefore, the information that you receive from the NSC is already verified by USF.  USF will answer follow up questions at enrollmentcerts@usf.edu, but confirmation of verifications is not a service that USF provides.

I need to request a proof of enrollment but I no longer have access to my USF email address. How do I request a proof of enrollment?

Students may request their enrollment certification by submitting it via email to enrollmentcerts@usf.edu from their USF student email with the information they are requesting. 
If you do not have a USF email address, we will need a written request with the following information:

  • Your full name.
  • Student U-number. If you never received a U-number, please include your full date of birth.
  • Your request (ex. letter of non-enrollment).
  • The email address where it should be sent.
  • Your handwritten signature and date.

Please scan and send your written request to enrollmentcerts@usf.edu for processing. 



How do I request USF student directory information data?

Data on currently enrolled students is only released after students have an opportunity to 'opt out', therefore in the Fall semester we do not release files until the fifth week of the term, in Spring and Summer terms, it is the third week of the term.

To make a data request, use the Data Request Form.