The Side Navigation (_sidenav.html) is a required element for all Text pages. It will display immediately below the section title, aligned on the left side. Please note: Side Navigation is not used on the homepage.
The side navigation can be customized to meet your unit’s needs. When a site visitor clicks on a link in the side navigation, the visitor is taken to that page, and the selected link will be highlighted in a different color. For example, if a visitor clicks on the link titled "Visit USF", the visitor is taken to the Visit USF page and the link's text will change from dark green to dark grey.
Side Navigation Criteria
- Must contain at least three links, and no more than 12 links
- Each link has a character limit of 20-40 characters and can be no more than two lines
- Each link points to pages
- The text will display in a pre-determined style
Edit Side Navigation
- Check out the _sidenav.html file of the website section you are working in.
- Like editing a text document, hit Return on your keyboard to create a new bullet point.
This will create a new side navigation item. Then click the link icon and use the
Dependency Manager to navigate to the page you want the side navigation item to link to. Then click
- Use Delete to remove or rearrange side navugation items.
- Then click Save.
- Publish to Test and/or Production.
Side Navigation Nested Links
Users have the option to include nested links within the side navigation.
If you create nested links, they only appear in the side navigation when you are on the parent page of the nested link or on another nested page. They do not appear if you are on another page of that website section.
By hitting Enter and then Tab the nested link will show up as a hollow bullet in the WYSIWYG editor.