What is the Academic Success Center (ASC)?
The Academic Success Center (ASC) is the key, centralized learning center on the campus of the University of South Florida (USF). The ASC is comprised of three major sub-centers, the Tutoring Hub, SMART Lab, and the Writing Studio. Within these sub-centers, tutoring and learning assistance occurs for over 10,000 students per year over the course of +100,000 visits, while also offering courses and other programs designed to include a variety of modalities and interact with students at every level of education at USF. ASC services include a variety of modalities and interact with students at every level of education at USF. Our tutors and ASC staff are valued members of the USF community who we also invest in, to ensure their successful experience during their employment and to bolster their roles as beacons of academic success for the student-clients we serve. The ASC is dedicated to Student Success at USF, one student at a time.
The Academic Success Center (ASC), a diverse peer-to-peer collective in collaboration with the USF community, provides learning services, fosters intellectual independence, and cultivates professional development in support of student engagement and successful academic persistence.
The ASC, a centralized learning support hub for students, directly contributes to student success by: Remaining committed to a learner-centered environment by offering a broad range of services that respect diverse talents and ways of learning. Cultivating interpersonal skills through an atmosphere that embraces student-to-student collaboration and engagement. Creating partnerships across the university community to enrich students' educational experience. Promoting practical competence and lifelong learning through professional development opportunities. Exploring and adopting innovative learning technologies. Developing ongoing assessment processes to inform planning and decision-making.
ASC Code of Ethics
- Philosophy: I will act in the best interest of all students, supporting the mission of USF and of the ASC.
- Responsibility: I will take responsibility for my behavior and work to productively resolve conflicts.
- Integrity: I will follow the USF Academic Honor Code, always promoting accuracy, honesty, and truthfulness.
- Respect for individual differences: I will respect the diversity of ALL people, and I will not use my position to impose or impart my beliefs.
- Excellence: I will strive for excellence by continuing to improve my job knowledge, skills, and abilities; by remaining open to constructive feedback; and, by seeking assistance as needed.
- Professionalism: I will always remember that I am a mentor and will conduct myself in a responsible manner. I will not take on a role for which I am not qualified. I will be punctual, maintain accurate records, and keep confidential any information to which I have access. I will uphold professional relationships within the ASC.