- Where is the Writing Studio located, and what are your hours?
- How can I schedule a consultation?
- How many appointments can I schedule per week?
- What should I bring to my online appointment?
- What types of writing assignments can I bring to the Studio?
- What kind of help can I expect from Writing Studio consultants?
- Will consultants copyedit my work?
- Can I receive help on citation styles, such as APA, MLA, and Chicago?
- Can students registered with Student Accessibility Services receive accommodations in the Studio?
- Can I have a consultation for a group project?
- How do I cancel or reschedule my appointment?
Question and Answers
A: The Studio is located in the Academic Success Center on the second floor of the USF Tampa Library (LIB 233). Our appointments are available each week remotely and in-person from Monday and Friday 10 am to 5 pm, and Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 10 am - 7 pm. For more information, see our Appointments page.
A: Options include:
- visiting the Writing Studio or Accudemia to schedule in-person consultations;
- visiting the Writing Studio or call (813) 974-8293 to schedule online appointments
A: To ensure that we can assist as many writers as possible, writers are limited to two appointments per week, online and/or in-person.
- All relevant materials associated with your assignment (drafts, feedback, outlines, syllabus, rubrics, assignment sheets, etc.).
- 2-3 questions about the assignment to discuss with your consultant.
- course writing assignments (papers, lab reports, outlines, book reports, literature reviews, articles for publication, theses, dissertations, discussion board writing, etc.);
- professional genres (resumes, CVs, cover letters, personal statements, scholarship essays, etc.);
- creative writing projects (poems, short stories, essays);
- digital writing (portfolios, presentations/speeches, PowerPoints, videos, etc.)
A: Our consultants will discuss your assignment with you and ask questions about purpose, genre, audience, evidence, and organization (among others). We will read through the assignment together and help you generate a revision plan. We can also brainstorm project ideas with you and assist with the research process. Each Studio session is tailored to your needs and goals for your assignment.
A: Our consultants will not copyedit or write any part of an assignment for a student.
A: Our consultants are happy to assist you with citation practices. Our approach is to model how to properly cite and analyze sources so writers can replicate these strategies.
We are unable to help with ETD formatting, however. For ETD assistance, please visit the ETD Resource Center in the Office of Graduate Studies.
- Absolutely. If you would like to request accomodations, please feel free to contact Will Forde-Mazrui, the Assistant Director of Tutoring and Writing.
- Yes. Please note that consultations on group writing projects (i.e., a group is writing one document together) require all group members to be present for the consultation. If you are scheduling a group consultation, you will also need to let the Writing Studio administrative team know (by emailing email@example.com).
- To cancel an appointment, with more than 24 hours notice please log into Accudemia. On the Accudemia home page, click on "View All" under the Upcoming Appointments section. Hover over the appointment you would like to cancel. On the far right side of the screen, a Cancel icon will appear. Click on this icon. You will be asked if you are sure you would like to cancel. Select "Yes," and the appointment will be canceled. It will no longer appear on your home screen. Note: your confirmation email also provides a link to cancel your appointment. To reschedule your appointment, select a different session in the scheduler and create a new appointment.
- With under 24 hours notice please call (813) 974-8293 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org please note that this may affect your no-show total.
If you still have questions about our services, please email us at email@example.com.