- Where is the Writing Studio located, and what are your hours?
- How can I schedule a consultation?
- How many appointments can I schedule per week?
- What should I bring to my online appointment?
- What types of writing assignments can I bring to the Studio?
- What kind of help can I expect from Writing Studio consultants?
- Will consultants copyedit my work?
- Can I receive help on citation styles, such as APA, MLA, and Chicago?
- Can students registered with Student Accessibility Services receive accommodations in the Studio?
- Can I have a consultation for a group project?
- How do I cancel or reschedule my appointment?
Question and Answers
A: The Studio is located in the Academic Success Center on the second floor of the USF-Tampa Library. This fall, we will be hosting online appointments through WC Online. Our appointments are available each week Sunday - Friday at a range of times (morning, afternoon, and evening). For more specific information, please see our available appointments in WC Online.
A: Options include:
- visiting the WC Online website to schedule your own appointment (link here);
- emailing the Writing Studio at email@example.com.
A: To ensure that we can assist as many writers as possible, writers are limited to one appointment per week. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request multiple appointments.
- All relevant materials associated with your assignment (drafts, feedback, outlines, syllabus, rubrics, assignment sheets, etc.).
- 2-3 questions about the assignment to discuss with your consultant.
- course writing assignments (papers, lab reports, outlines, book reports, literature reviews, articles for publication, theses, dissertations, discussion board writing, etc.);
- professional genres (resumes, CVs, cover letters, personal statements, scholarship essays, etc.);
- creative writing projects (poems, short stories, essays);
- digital writing (portfolios, presentations/speeches, PowerPoints, videos, etc.)
A: Our consultants will discuss your assignment with you and ask questions about purpose, genre, audience, evidence, and organization (among others). We will read through the assignment together and help you generate a revision plan. We can also brainstorm project ideas with you and assist with the research process. Each Studio session is tailored to your needs and goals for your assignment.
A: Our consultants will not copyedit or write any part of an assignment for a student.
A: Our consultants are happy to assist you with citation practices. Our approach is to model how to properly cite and analyze sources so writers can replicate these strategies.
We are unable to help with ETD formatting, however. For ETD assistance, please visit the ETD Resource Center in the Office of Graduate Studies.
- Absolutely. If you would like to request accomodations, please feel free to contact Dr. Kristen Gay, the Assistant Director of the Writing Studio.
- Yes. Please note that consultations on group writing projects (i.e., a group is writing one document together) require all group members to be present for the consultation. If you are scheduling a group consultation, you will also need to let the Writing Studio administrative team know (by emailing email@example.com).
- To cancel an appointment, please visit WC Online, click on your appointment in the scheduler, scroll to the bottom, and select "Cancel Appointment."
- To reschedule your appointment, select a different session in the scheduler and create a new appointment.
If you still have questions about our services, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.