What Writing Projects Can I Bring to a Consultation?
Consultants can focus on writing from all USF courses, regardless of academic discipline, including research papers, lab reports, creative writing, discussion boards, and more. Regardless of what you’re working on, Writing Studio consultants can help you at any stage in the writing process. Whether you’re looking for a second set of eyes on your final draft or you’re trying to nail down a strong thesis, we want to help you take your writing to the next level. You don’t even need to come with a full draft! We are happy to help you brainstorm.
What Help Can I Receive on APA, MLA, or Other Writing Styles?
The Studio does not offer consultations on digital literacies, that is, formatting in processing programs like Word (including APA, MLA, and other writing style formatting as well as ETD formatting). For writers who bring in writing style formatting questions, writing consultants will point the writer to resources and model how to problem solve these questions. Writers are then expected to be able to conduct these problem-solving strategies on their own independent of the Studio. Please visit Lynda.com (visit my.usf.edu and hover over "Learning & Teaching Tools") for video tutorials on writing style formatting assistance, or, for ETD assistance, please visit the ETD Resource Center in the Office of Graduate Studies.
What Should I Do to Prepare for a Consultation?
- Bring all relevant materials (drafts, feedback, rubrics, assignment sheets, etc.).
- Print two copies of your document. One is for you, one is for the consultant.
- See the Appointments page for more detailed information.
How Many Appointments Can I Schedule?
Appointments are limited to one appointment per week, available on a first-come, first-served basis. You may schedule an appointment up to two weeks in advance. Additionally, please note the following:
- For all scheduled appointments, if you do not arrive by :10 past the hour, your appointment may be given to another writer.
Can I Have a Consultation on an Exam or Group Project?
- All consultations on exams must be pre-approved by your instructor. The instructor must email the Writing Studio and/or call and speak to the Assistant Director or a Coordinator to give permission before the consultation can begin.
- Consultations on group writing projects (i.e., a group is writing one document together) require all group members to be present for the consultation.
What Happens If I Can't Come to My Consultation, and I Need to Cancel and/or Reschedule?
- Please call us at (813) 974-8293 or visit us in person on the Library's 2nd Floor to cancel at least 24 hours in advance.
- Appointments CANNOT be canceled online or by email.
- Students that miss 3 appointments may lose their Writing Studio privileges for the remainder of the current semester.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours in advance, the missed appointment counts as one of your three missed appointments (see previous bullet).
- Please be aware that canceled appointments count toward the Studio's one-appointment-per-week allowance.